Australian buyer <USD50 from US seller-fees merchant will charge me?

_NoMiddleName_
New Community Member

I would like to purchase a software subscription from a US seller. The price is a special, and under USD50. I intend to pay through my PayPal linked bank account. Merchant claims that can utilise PayPal only on annual subscriptions, and that in using PayPal, I must request an invoice.

Can someone here inform me of:

i)what fees the seller is likely to pass onto me? (Or perhaps PP?)

ii)the turnaround time between purchase and seller receipt of monies?

Thanks very much

_NoMiddleName_

(I realised too late that this perhaps should have been posted in the merchant community?).

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@_NoMiddleName_ 

Just tell them to send a PayPal invoice to your PayPal email address.

Technically, sellers is are not allowed to do surcharges up front:

“No surcharges

You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.”

If they do, it is about 3 to 5 percent if you can even tell from their invoice.

The turnaround would be instant, however, depending on the seller’s account tenure, selling patterns, and other factors the payment they received may be subject to a PayPal hold. The money‘s received, in their account and theirs but temporary unavailable until PayPal can confirm delivery with a tracking number the seller supplies within the PayPal transaction, or they mark the transaction as shipped or processed and then ask you to confirm receipt on your end of the transaction in your PayPal account.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.