Anyone else being asked to "Confirm your info"

smcusername
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone else getting this?  

I keep getting this email from Paypal to confirm my info:
===
"To continue sending or spending money directly from your PayPal balance, we'll need a bit more information from you so we can confirm your identity.
This is one of the ways we help keep your account secure and support regulations that fight money laundering and fraud.
Getting started is easy, and you'll only have to do it once. Here's what you need to do:
1. Click the Confirm Your Info button below or just log into your PayPal Business account.
2. Click the Notifications icon at the top of the page.
3. Follow the on-screen instructions."
===
Clicking through PP is asking for my Social Security number and birthdate.
NO WAY I am giving them this info. I don't send and receive all that much money right now. That may change in the future. What options do I have?

I've been using PP for years and have never had this happen before.

Login to Me Too
34 REPLIES 34

PinkLov
Contributor
Contributor
Iceyspicey I am also an artist and a customer payed me and I can’t put it into my account until I give them the info. But I already have. I gave them my ssn and my passport photo. The thing is that when I gave them my passport they did not accept it and asked me to resend which I did multiple times. Anyways I hope that PayPal will remove this feature because I have used it for a long time and my only way to receive digital money. I have not received any weird emails though just when I click accept when I want to accept a payment it says do you want to have it go to your bank account or PayPal? I select PayPal and it has me “confirm my identity”. And btw I use my personal not a business one. And PayPal if you are reading this then please change your policy. Also if anyone has any suggestions to alternatives to PayPal I would like that (and probably other people too).
Login to Me Too

diana_lucv25

I had this happen, but when I followed the link in the email, the site had no photos; it was just the login page AND had everything on one page. The real PayPal home page has a photo and when you go to login, it's a 2-step process: the first page, you put in your email or a phone number, then the 2nd page is where you put your password.

I immediately closed it out and typed it in myself. I have a certificate in tech support, and I know that both apps and websites can be cracked, and then mirrored by the hackers. They actually copy the html and the SQL so that it looks legit (unless you know what you're looking for), but it actually is their website to capture your info "behind" the splash page that you see.

I check the documents that you can upload to help ensure your account is secure. It stated that PayPal never asks for your SSN. You can upload a photo of your drivers license or passport (with your passport number showing).

I still got an email about 2 weeks later. I reported it to spoof@paypal.com, and they responded with a thank you email, telling me to go change my password immediately to something completely unsimilar. I was also told to delete the app on my mobile device(s) and reinstall them, making sure they were the actual ones in my app store. I made sure that I did all that, immediately.

I have received no further emails, and had zero issues sending, receiving or getting reimbursements for items that ended up being out of stock. I've been able to transfer the refunded money to my bank account with no problem.

I hope this helps.

Login to Me Too

jback10

Interesting...I rarely have a need for PayPal but work as a consultant for one company that pays me that way. It's a very small amount that's sent only twice a year, so I use it pretty quickly when I get it to avoid forgetting it's even there. I logged in recently because I had returned something I purchased using my PP balance, and it showed a 22 cent negative balance! WTH? Not only was there more than enough in the paypal balance account, but I have my bank account and a credit card linked as well. Paypal's site clearly states that if you do not have enough funds available for a purchase (which I did, but that's not the point), it will use one of your backup methods. No matter what, a negative balance of 22 cents should not be possible.

Furthermore, the statement in my account is that they noted suspicious activity on the bank account that is linked. Ummm...no you didn't. Are you monitoring my personal bank account now? I have a fraud alert on ALL my accounts and believe me, I will know of anything suspicious well before PayPal does. I also double checked the account and the only place with anything fishy going on is here in PayPal.

I have not been asked for my SSN, but they want me to upload a photo ID and a bank statement. Crazy, since they already have my SSN on file from when I first joined many years ago. Being able to load these documents in no way confirms that I am who I say I am. They have no idea what I look like so how will a photo ID help them? Want to video chat? I'll smile and hold up my driver's license for the same 5 seconds a Walmart cashier needs to ID me. You don't need my bank statement; my account is already linked. I can literally remove all the money from my bank account with just my driver's license. That's enough.

I'm fine not using the paypal balance feature anymore. My only concern now is that I had a return and it most likely will be money credited back to that feature, instead of to my bank account. Might just have to let that go. 

Login to Me Too

jback10

Apologies for the additional post but this is important and I left it out: when I ran the math to determine why there was a 22 cent negative balance, it did NOT check out. There should have been 13 cents remaining in the paypal balance account; definitely not negative. It just doesn't seem legitimate on PayPal's side.

Login to Me Too

PinkLov
Contributor
Contributor
I now opened a checking account and whenever someone PayPal’s me money I just transfer it to my bank account (even if it takes a couple days). I mainly use either my debit card or Apple Pay. Also I have never gotten a negative on my PayPal account even when I had no money in my PayPal account. I don’t know how to help you but what I would is stop using PayPal but when someone does PayPal you just transfer it onto your bank. You don’t have to do this this just my solution to the problem. I hope that you get it all figured out.
Login to Me Too

jback10

Update- this was actually easy to resolve, but I am still glad I posted in case others come across a similar issue. In short, I think many in this thread received phishing e-mails. My case was different and seems to be just a weird glitch- I don't know what caused the initial issue but I will change my password just in case someone did try to hack in. Shout out to Tyler on PayPal chat for sorting through it all and helping me fix it without any uploads of sensitive documents!

What happened:

I logged in yesterday to find a 22 cent negative balance and a message on-screen said to add money to the account, so knowing I had come very close to the zero mark, I assumed I had miscalculated and tried to just add the 22 cents from my linked bank account. Apparently, THAT's what triggered the limitations on my account. In hind sight, this part makes sense. I NEVER move money from my bank to PayPal, so it would seem unusual.

Tyler was able to look through the account and verify it was really me by sending a code to my phone. He could then remove the limitations and of course, I will be changing my password just in case someone else was also trying to move money from my bank (because again, there should NOT have been a negative balance- that in itself is the suspicious part.)

Faith restored in PayPal. 🙂

Login to Me Too

LeviTheGabele
New Community Member
Me too, it’s really annoying. was gonna use paypal to get things through ebay but i’ve decided not to because of it. I’m not comfortable giving any mobile app my social security. After waiting days for a response i’ve decided to just use the built on ebay system. It’s PayPals loss but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t suck for me lost out on 500 i can’t use. very frustrating.
Login to Me Too

TominKY
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, after all these years of being an excellent customer (if I say so myself), I started getting the little red bell and "need to resolve" messages that wouldn't go away.  So, I decided to see what they wanted.  At first, I thought it was a scam.  After several check-ins for other matters, the annoying alarms kept popping up.  So, I uploaded the 2 docs they wanted. Docs I would NEVER send anyone else I didn't personally know online.  First you get the bot who is worthless for help. Then you might, if you ask nicely, get a real live person.  So I get one, I upload the docs for the third time. What was to take 2 minutes to be evaluated by headquarters, took a bit longer, we'll just say that.  Come to find out, PayPal doesn't realize that some people have first, middle and last names.  After all these years, with no issues, why are they asking for all this personal stuff?  Hopefully, the smart folks at PayPal will intervene and realize that most of us do not remember the date and circumstances of when we first logged-in to PayPal to sign up.  We were much younger then and our minds not clogged with so many things.  I was told the higher ups would be reviewing this and I could expect to hear something in 10 days.  Wow, this is a nice way to treat loyal, trouble-free customers!!!  Not really, but I hope G e r a l d, my new PP chat buddy, is smiling. 

Login to Me Too

Lou97
Contributor
Contributor

We were asked to "Confirm your info" and the funds in our account were frozen, do you think that this is a time to freeze any businesses funds? The economy is garbage with this COVID shutdown and now that we need all of our cash flow, PayPal chooses this would be a good time to "Confirm your info" and freeze our account. They said that it will take 2-3 business days now it seem that it will be longer. Thanks for the additional stress, we did not have enough already!

Login to Me Too

TominKY
Contributor
Contributor

If PayPal would spend as much time fixing the "confirm information" issues that they sprung on us, rather than giving us all nice badges here in the forum (what is this, grade school?), they'd have much happier customers right now. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.