Age requirment to open Paypal account

CaliDad
Contributor
Contributor

what is the legal age requirement to open a paypal account? I read some older threads dating back to 2013 that it is 18? if so why can an account be opened without having to enter a birthday?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@CaliDad

Paypal does not allow account holders under the age of 18.
PayPal asks for a birth date when you register so whilst you can make a PayPal account with false information the account will be subject to sending and receiving limits.

When you reach those limits you will be unable to verify your account so your account would be locked for further use.
Minors can’t enter legal contracts so you won’t have any recourse to get your money back.
Consider what your goals are in the long-term so that you don’t back yourself into a corner.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

CaliDad
Contributor
Contributor

I did research the legal age requirement and agree it's clearly posted on the internet. However, I disagree that we are asked our age or anything that would be an identifier when setting up an account. Last night I personally was able to establish an account and was not asked my age. I initially started this thread to determine if PayPal had changed policies so thank you for responding and confirming there is an age limit, which makes sense considering there are legal obligations to using these services. I think perhaps PayPal needs to step up the security at the enrollment process to include SSN so that there would not be people unwittingly or otherwise establishing accounts for their children.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@CaliDad

I just did a pretend 'register' and the second thing I was asked for was my date of birth??

However may be it doesn't in your country which is odd.

However if you go to paypals user agreement then it does clearly state near the top that you have to be 18.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.