Advice about selling a car, recieving payment via paypal.

hasey
Contributor
Contributor

I'm selling my car (not on ebay) and have had someone offering to buy via paypal and send someone for collection. I know all about these scams where buyers say I'll pay with a bankers draft and add shipping fees and the seller has to sort it out with the shippers. I've always disregarded these and said cash on collection only but this one says he'll pay in full via paypal and arrange for someone to collect. I just want to know where I stand on the security of the payment. Do I have to wait any particular time for it to clear? Can he cancel payment once cleared or request a refund?

You hear so many scams going on I just want to be sure, I'm already dubious due to the fact he's saying he'll send someone else to collect. Or am I just best sticking to my guns and demanding cash on collection? Please help.

Login to Me Too
407 REPLIES 407

jensenma
New Community Member

Just a quick question. I have had the same emails and actually been writtinmg to him...

However has now stopped all correspondance. He does however have my email, phone number and adress. Should I be worried?

jensenma

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Anna

Hi jensenma,

In this situation I would advise you changing your password and security questions on your PayPal and email accounts if you have any concern that the spoofer could get access to them - just for security reasons.

However spoofers usually try to make you send them money in the following scenario:

1. You receive a false email claiming you've received payment through PayPal including additional amount to cover shipping costs (but no transaction is visible under Transaction History).

2. Spoofer asks for confirmation of payment sent (via different payment processing company) to shipping company chosen by himself.

3. Once you provide him with the payment confirmation, he collects funds and dissapears.

If you have any concerns about your safety, please consider contacting police station.

Hope it helps to understand the spoof process.

Anna

Login to Me Too

Copper63

Eli27
Contributor
Contributor

Probably not a problem. There are enough trusting but foolish people falling for the scam to keep the crooks happy. As a precaution you should change your email passwords and monitor your bank accounts, credit card accounts, etc to make sure they didn't access any of it.

Login to Me Too

Candacejrey11
New Community Member

My mom recieved the SAME EXACT e-mail from someone on craigslist... very scary... I told her it didn't sound legit to me.. Glad she didn't go through with it! ....

Login to Me Too

dbholland76
New Community Member

I have received an email that is almost exactly what you have above:

He asked for the following:

PayPal Email:
Full Name:
Firm Price:
Zip Code:
Cell Phone Number

I gave him all except the cell phone number, but now wonder if I should not have given that.

Definitely a scam.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Why are you even thinking of selling a car and accepting paypal as the payment method.

3 reasons NOT to use paypal for selling a car.

1. No seller protection.

2. Paypal fees.

3. No fees and no risk if you accept cash on collection.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Brich51

Ive had simaler email and a text here ie the email. 

Thanks for your reply, I'm seriously interested in buying this item for my brother as a gift. What's your last price? What's condition of it and Why you want to sale it?,I won't be available for pick up for myself or him,moreover, and currently out town due of my work so i will not able to come for the inspection. I really want this as a surprise gift for him so i won't let him know anything about this until it get delivered to him. You can mail me back with your PayPal email address if you have paypal account or if you don't have an account with paypal you can set up an account at www.paypal.com now cos it's secured and reliable. So that I can make the payment to you right away.Do not worry about shipping or picking up the item as my pick up agent will come and pick it up from you once have made the payment to you. Get back to me asap.

I new it had to be a scam.Its realy great to have a place to check this out Thanks everyone for posting

Login to Me Too

Gonzostar
I'm really glad I've come across this. I've just had the exact same email, I didn't think it seemed a good idea that someone would just want to buy a car without even seeing it anyway, let alone send money for it, hence I was wary. Useful to find that it is definitely a scam and a common one by the sound of it too.
Login to Me Too

crsinger
Contributor
Contributor

We received the same request after 1 day of list vehicle on CARS.COM. Explained he was offshore as a marinitime seaman and want to buy car for son via paypal. He wanted details from us and didn't care about seeing car. Concerned that others may fall for the scam..be careful and only accept cash/cashiers check. Among other warning flags was his time on the text...it was 6-7 hours ahead of our eastern standard time which put him somewhere in Europe or Mid-East... Beware folks...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.