Advice about selling a car, recieving payment via paypal.

hasey
Contributor
Contributor

I'm selling my car (not on ebay) and have had someone offering to buy via paypal and send someone for collection. I know all about these scams where buyers say I'll pay with a bankers draft and add shipping fees and the seller has to sort it out with the shippers. I've always disregarded these and said cash on collection only but this one says he'll pay in full via paypal and arrange for someone to collect. I just want to know where I stand on the security of the payment. Do I have to wait any particular time for it to clear? Can he cancel payment once cleared or request a refund?

You hear so many scams going on I just want to be sure, I'm already dubious due to the fact he's saying he'll send someone else to collect. Or am I just best sticking to my guns and demanding cash on collection? Please help.

Login to Me Too
407 REPLIES 407

ImagicaPhoto
New Community Member

Let me first thank you to PayPal for having this forum and then to all the people who have posted here and helped me NOT get ripped off today!!!  This is so disheartening... but I am very happy to have found the appropriate information.  Now it is a question of to whom do I report this.   I was contacted last night and this morning with nearly the EXACT same text as emails posted in this forum.  I am including all texts from the emails you and others may compare and hopefully NOT get ripped off.

The first email...

I'm very much interested in purchasing the vehicle. Do you have the extra keys, Do you have the spare tire, Where did you get your car serviced, Have you ever had any transmission repairs and Is there any rust on the vehicle? I'll look forward to hearing from you as soon as possible

The second email....

Thanks for answering the questions. I am satisfied but can you assure me that i will not be disappointed if i buy this Vehicle. I'm ready to pay your asking price but not cash in person because I'm currently in a conference and calls are restricted at the moment and my only quickest payment option is PayPal, its safe fast and secure and i will be responsible for the PayPal transaction charges so you can get your expected amount. If you don't have an account with PayPal, its pretty easy to open one,Just log onto www.paypal.com and sign up. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? As I am buying the vehicle for someone and I'm very sure he will love this vehicle, his a mechanic and a handy man, so if there is anything that need to be fixed in it just let me know he will handle it. I have a mover that will come for the pick up once payment clears in your account and he will handle the  title for me.I look forward to hear from you with the information below. Your PayPal e-Mail Address : Full name: Firm Price: Zip code for pickup: Thanks Caryn Sundling

My Reply...

Hi Caryn,

I am so in love with this 4runner I hate to see it go.  I'm a 4runner guy... have had three before this one of different years... I searched for six months for this one with the V8 and leather and excellent condition.  And then I put about two thousand into the timing belt, tires and suspension.  You will be very happy!

So, yes... I can easily assure you that you and your friends will be happy.  I am a photographer and quite meticulous with my stuff.  As I said... a little work will make thus car "like new"... but as it is it is awesome!

I do have a PayPal account.  That is a rather expensive option though, isn't it?  I think they charge about 5% ?  

My asking price is $12,500 and it is a fair price.  I would rather do a Cashier's check... and that would cost you less... but let me see how much PayPal charges for that size transaction.  Do you have that money already in PayPal?  I think that makes a difference on the transaction fee.

I will write back in a few minutes with my PayPal info... I need to talk toy attorney friend to make sure that is all a legal and safe way to go.

Thank you!

Will

The third email.... by now I've checked on PayPal and found that all of these are almost EXACT text from previous posters... and I know it is a scam.

Sound good...I want you to know that am ready to cover the Paypal charges which is 2.7%..PayPal works great and fine.Its very secure,safe and easy to receive money in it.I insisted on PayPal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking and I can't go to the bank due to the nature of my job, but i can pay from my PayPal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your PayPal email address so i can make the payments asap

and my final reply...

I am sorry to inform you that I have contacted PayPal regarding these emails.  They asked me to read the text of the emails to them and compared them to other complaints bout scam artists using this exact same language.

I hate to be suspicious but how can you have PayPal without online banking?

I will only be able accept a bank certified cashier's check for the vehicle and sign over the title at the bank when the deposit is made.

So sorry... buy PayPal requested your email and contact information to keep on file and possibly report to the FB I as the language you have used in your emails is an almost exact match to other reported fraudulent transactions.

Please understand we must all be careful.  If you wish to test drive the vehicle and/or purchase, please feel free to contact me and schedule an appointment to meet at my local bank office.

Thank you for your interest.

Will

Login to Me Too

KateMe

Hi there,

I just received the message below from some Micheal Dudley...

Thanks for getting back to me and i appreciate your prompt reply..I am
presently out of town now.. I am buying this for my son as a surprise
gift. However,does it
have any history I should be aware of? and why are you selling if you
don't mind my asking and I will really appreciate if you can email
more info and if possible more photos. I can only pay through paypal
at the moment as i don't have access to my bank account online(i dont
have internet banking with it), but i have it attached to my paypal
account, and this is why i insisted on using paypal to pay,all i will
need is your paypal email address to make the payment, and if you dont
have a paypal account yet, you can set one it cant take you less than
3mins to do that, i will be expecting your paypal email so l can pay
and your phone number. I have a pick up agent that will come for the
pick up after payment has been sorted, l will be waiting for your
reply asap. Here is my phone number:+447031979207

Login to Me Too

Annies001

I received exactly the same e mail yesterday about our motor home. The initial text came from Michael but the e mails from 2 slightly different accounts with the spelling Micheal. Both <removed>, one followed by 7066 gmail and the other 706 outlook. I called the mobile number and asked his name which he seemed to gave forgotten until I prompted him with Michael! We got cut off quite quickly, probably because he knew I was onto him. I hope people don't get caught out by these low lives.

Login to Me Too

bop232
New Community Member

hi got exactly the same message but it is was uncle instead of father to gift.

thanks guys i m just saved from fraud.

@Gab_PCC wrote:

I have just received a similar email (see below) and came looking for an answer to the very same question. Sounded very dubious as he wanted to buy the car without even seeing a picture. Sounds like a scam. Here's the email received:

Hi there, Thank you for getting back to me. I'm ready to pay your
asking price.To be honest, i wanted to buy
this for my father as a surprise birthday gift,he has being there for
me and doesn,t deserve something less but the issue is I'm a marine
contractor and i just got a contract which i am doing presently and
The contract is strictly no call,
due to the lack of reception on the sea area,,But I'm able to access
email anytime as we will make use of laptop so my only quickest
payment option is PayPal as i can send money via PayPal anytime.Moreso
i choose paypal for this transaction cause i want to avoid the scams
going down on the internet this days,and want the both party to be on
a safe side cause paypal security measure is unbeatable.Since
I'm requesting this transaction to be done via PayPal, i will be
responsible for all the pay pal fee/charges on this transaction and if
you don't have an account with paypal, its pretty easy, safe and
secured to open one. Just log on to www.paypal.com. I hope we can make
the purchase as fast as possible? I have a mover that will come for it
once payment clears and they will be handling the title for me.So i
look forward to hear from you soon.

Login to Me Too

misohone
New Community Member

Exact same progression here as well. The first email is quite innocent as they try to set the hook: 

Hello,am interested in your vehicle on AUTOTRADER,please reply to my Email <removed>

with large engine pics before i proceed.Thank you.Marc

Reply email: 

Thank you for getting back to me,can you assure me that i will not be disappointed if i buy this vehicle as a Birthday gift for my Dad? as I'm ready to pay your asking price but not cash in person because I'm software engineer in Hewlett Packard,(HP) and a contract staff so i cant handle this in person.My only means of payment is PayPal,its safe fast and secure and i will be responsible for the paypal transaction charges so you can get your expected amount.If you don't have a paypal account,its pretty easy to open one,Just log on to www.paypal.com and sign up.I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? as the day is fast approaching. I have a mover that will come for the pick up once payment clears in your account and he will handle the title for me.I look forward to hear from you with the information below.

Your PayPal e-Mail Address :

Your last asking price:
Your Zip code for pickup:

Your Cell phone #:

Login to Me Too

windpig

I received nearly an identical email from "Emily Grant".  Scam:

Thanks for getting back to me...I am glad to know that you still have the [car] available. I do hope it is in good condition?. I want to buy it for my father and I am ready to pay the asking price. I'm a Marine Engineer and am currently on sea right now which is strictly no calls. My Mode of payment is PayPal because i don't have access to my bank account online, but i have it attached to my PayPal account. Since I'm requesting this transaction to be done via PayPal, I will be responsible for all the PayPal fees/charges on this transaction, if you don't have an account with PayPal, it's pretty easy, safe and secure to open one. Just log on to [paypal] I hope we can make this transaction as fast as possible. Less I forgot, I have a Mover that will come for the pick up once payment is cleared in your PayPal account and they will be handling the title for me, as I look forward to hearing from you with your PayPal information as requested below.

Full name:
Firm Price:
Address for pick up:

Many Thanks.

Login to Me Too

tingtingtwice
New Community Member

Thanks everyone for the posts! I would've fell for it if I didn't read all this. This is the email I received today:

DONT FALL FOR THE SCAM!!!!

"

Thanks for getting back to me! Can you assure me that there won't be any problems with the car once it's purchased? I'm wanting to get the

car as a birthday gift for my dad, and I'm ready to pay asking price.I'm currently on contract overseas for an oceanography company for the

next few months, so my connectivity is limited and I can't meet you in person. We don't have any cell service since we are out in the middle

of the ocean, and I'm lucky to even get internet. It's really...really...slow.

What I can do is to pay via PayPal, if this is an option that works for you, I know that they charge a 3% fee, so I'm willing to pay the fee

as well so you don't get charged anything extra. PayPal usually is fast and it's secure. If you don't have an account, it's pretty easy

too open one. Just sign up, and it'll explain everything you need to do.

I want to do the transaction fairly quickly because my dad's birthday is approaching. I know he'll love the car. He is a mechanic, so if there is anything wrong with the car, just let me know, and I'll tell him so he can be ready to fix it when the car arrives.Also - I have a mover that can come and get it and can handle the title for me, so you don't have to worry about that. Let me know your thoughts, and if you're ready to move forward, just fill out the info below so I can work everything out!

PayPal Email:

Full Name:

Firm Price:

Zip Code:

Cell Phone Number

Thanks so much!

Johnson

"

Login to Me Too

ckg

What a load of ****!!! i almost fell for this. They have mastered even the subtle things so finitely well. very responsive emails and everything. To think this worl has good souls..ufff

Thank you for getting back to me,can you assure me that i will not be
disappointed if i buy this Vehicle from you,i want to purchase it as
a birthday gift for my Dad?as I'm ready to pay your asking price but
not cash in person because I'm an Oceanographer and i am presently
on a contract which will end in couple of months,the contract is
strictly no call due to the lack of reception on the sea area,but I'm
able to access my mail through my laptop and my only quickest
payment option is Payment by Via Pay Pal transfer,its safe,fast
and secure and i will be responsible for the Via Pay Pal transaction
charges so you can get your expected amount.I hope we can make the
purchase as fast as possible? as my Dad's birthday is fast
approaching,am sure he will love this vehicle,his a mechanic and a
handy man,so if there is anything that need to be fixed in it just
let me know he will handle it. I have a mover that will come for the
pick up once payment clears in your account and he will handle the
title for me.I look forward to hear from you with the information
below.

Full Name:
Pay Pal e-mail Address:
Firm Price:

Login to Me Too

EBello
New Community Member

Thanks to everyone who posted their experiences.  

Below is another similar version vehicle scam email:

"

Thanks for answering the questions. I am satisfied but can you assure me that i will not be disappointed if i buy this Vehicle. I'm ready to pay your asking price but not cash in person because I'm currently in a conference and calls are restricted at the moment and my only quickest payment option is PayPal, its safe fast and secure and i will be responsible for the PayPal transaction charges so you can get your expected amount. If you don't have an account with PayPal, its pretty easy to open one,Just log onto www.paypal.com and sign up. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? As I am buying the vehicle for someone and I'm very sure he will love this vehicle, his a mechanic and a handy man, so if there is anything that need to be fixed in it just let me know he will handle it. I have a mover that will come for the pick up once payment clears in your account and he will handle the  title for me.I look forward to hear from you with the information below.

Full name:
Firm Price:
Zip code for pickup:

Thanks

Joanna <removed> "

Previous email (I insisted on a phone dialogue to advise certified funds only):

"

This gem runs incredibly well for an SUV.  All mileage is 80% highway (rough estimate).  There's more we can discuss over the phone.  

Fyi, see your original email below, responses in CAPS.  

-------- Original message --------
Date:07/26/2014 10:24 PM (GMT-06:00) 

I'm very much interested in purchasing the vehicle.
Do you have the extra keys YES, Do you have the spare tire YES,
Where did you get your car serviced LITHIA TOYOTA ODESSA TX, Have you ever had
any transmission repairs NO and Is there any rust on the
vehicle? NO I'll look forward to hearing from you as soon as
possible
"

Login to Me Too

conan222
New Community Member

thanks for all the feedback, I received an offer on my car for sale, with that same bull**** of  out of town, surprise gift for brother, ready to pay asking price, almost a copy to the word....  I did give my email address, but told them no clearance of cash, no car,, however I doubt i will hear from them again.  I will email them and let them know  the deal is off.....

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.