Advice about selling a car, recieving payment via paypal.

hasey
Contributor
Contributor

I'm selling my car (not on ebay) and have had someone offering to buy via paypal and send someone for collection. I know all about these scams where buyers say I'll pay with a bankers draft and add shipping fees and the seller has to sort it out with the shippers. I've always disregarded these and said cash on collection only but this one says he'll pay in full via paypal and arrange for someone to collect. I just want to know where I stand on the security of the payment. Do I have to wait any particular time for it to clear? Can he cancel payment once cleared or request a refund?

You hear so many scams going on I just want to be sure, I'm already dubious due to the fact he's saying he'll send someone else to collect. Or am I just best sticking to my guns and demanding cash on collection? Please help.

Login to Me Too
407 REPLIES 407

PayPal_lucy

Hey there hasey,

Cars aren’t covered under PayPal buyer or seller protection.

This means that the buyer can’t open a case through PayPal, however, if there is an issue with the payment (failed from bank or unauthorised) then you would not be covered.

When he is sending someone else to pick it up I would suggest cash on collection.

Login to Me Too

Hi lucy, I sold a damaged repairable vehicle on ebay 3 weeks ago, and the buyer left me £500 deposit via paypal and wanted to pay rest on collection. The buyer collected the vehicle as promised and to our surprise he was driving the damaged vehicle to Latvia without having it repaired first. Yesterday we got such a abusive email from buyer on ebay stating he broke down 600 miles away in Europe and he was going to report us to ebay. Clearly the vehicle was advertised as damaged repairable. The ironic part is that the buyer drafted 2 copys of receipts that we both signed once he paid remaining balance in cash. The recipt  he made clearly in his own terminology states "vehicle sold as seen". Today this morning I logged on to paypal to notice our £500 deposit has been placed on hold. I cant understand how he has managed to have the money placed on hold or open a dispute as paypal don't cover buyers or sellers when it comes to motor vehicle bought or sold on ebay.Can you explain what is happening and why our funds are on hold. Thank you in advance lucy,    Jay

Login to Me Too

PayPal_paula

Hi germancarparts,

I would suggest that you review the case to see the reason that it has been opened. If it has been opened for non receipt of an item or for a significantly not as described item I would suggest that you ensure it is noted that the transaction is for a deposit. Firstly deposits are not covered under PayPal Buyer Protection and secondly if he notes in the case that it is a deposit in relation to a car then he is also not covered as we do not cover motorised vehicles.

I hope this helps

Paula

Login to Me Too

South613
New Community Member

i recently sold a car and accepted payment thru paypal. The people came to pick up the car, took it back to the shop - the next day they IMMEDIATELY called telling me the car wasn't worth what they paid for it - which was $4,400. They do own a legitamate shop and buy/restore/sell classic cars and I have verified their credentials. They are legit.

When the man whom first contacted me with interest in the car for the shop called me to tell me the car wasn't worth what he paid for it he said he wanted a partial refund immediately. i declined. Later that day the owner of the company calls me and is a real **** and begins harrassing me claiming that the car is worth no where near what he paid for it and that I need to send him $2,500 , which i i declined again. He started putting me on a dead line telling me i had until noon the next day or he will initiate a chargeback. Noon came and went and he called me later the next day with a new number- $2,000 OR ELSE he says. I said bring the car back and we can resolve it that way, he said to issue a refund thru paypal, I SAID NO, we can do it in person. He didn't want to bring the car back. I told him then we have no deal, I'm not going to just hand over half of what he paid for the car - he already got me down a 1000 from what I was asking!!!

A month passes and I get an email from paypal that he has initiated the chargeback - HE DID IT FOR $3,000!!!!! That's more than 66% of what he originally paid for the car. Since when does a buyer decide what something is worth? Needless to say they have the car for sale on their website for $8,400 (nearly double what they paid) in the SAME condition that the car left my yard in. This is crazy!!

I had the car advertised on craigslist, LOCALLY- not out of state to try to rip someone off. They were not BOUND to buying the car, they could have changed their mind and I would have refunded the money in full immediately. They are claiming the car was misrepresented which is not true. They were aware of everything before they took it away!!! This is amazing. What I don't understand is if cars are not covered under PayPals buyer or seller protection then how can he get away with a chargeback? I have proof that the car was sold in "AS IS" condition!!!!!! If he wins this I swear I will have to say that we live in a messed up place and this is not right. These type of people must be stopped!!!!

My questions are

1) Can and will he win this partial chargeback?

2) If cars aren't covered under paypals buyer/seller protection, how is he allowed a chargeback.

3) If I requested return of the car, does he HAVE to bring it back? I am not going to lose out $3,000 of my hide for some scum bucket without a fight!!! I will escalate this to a lawyer and the news channels and exploit any party involved giving to the favor of a scam!!

Login to Me Too

marshabates
New Community Member

Since it's a legitimate business I would be sure to report them to the Better Business Bureau and any other agencies regarding automobile consumer reports. You may even consider taking them to Small Claims Court (although they'll probably want to take it to a higher court and use their own company attorney), because you don't need a lawyer is Small Claims Court. Maybe even call your local TV station and report it to the news as a good consumer's story. Please don't let them get away with such rip-offs, at least you can prevent them from so callously cheating others for their selfish profit, and maybe even get back some of the money they owe you, for yourself.

Login to Me Too

Just call Paypal customer service tell them what happened, they will dismiss the chargeback. I had someone do this to me 3 times on an imported hairless cat she bought from me, pet sales like cars are not guaranteed by paypal. Also transactions made in person aka cash sales after the deposit which also isn't guaranteed, are not covered. Meaning they cannot win the dispute and you can have the claim dismissed everytime. Just call customer service mention it's a car sale aka not covered, the sale was made in person, they will dismiss the claim before you get off the phone. The cat sale person initiated the claim 3 times after attempting a partial refund scam to get an imported hairless cat for $200. Because pet sales arnt covered I simply called and the claim was dismissed 3 times within minutes. Best of luck!
Login to Me Too

Blonde_mama
Contributor
Contributor
What ended up happening?
Login to Me Too

The chargeback is done by the scammer purchasing the vehicle via a credit card and asking his credit card provider to chargeback. Paypal have very little control over this unless they have been informed by you that you think you might be scammed! 

Login to Me Too

Halloqueen
@South613 - i know this was years ago, but I’m so curious as to how your situation turned out?! Hope you (and the truth) won!! Ps thanks for sharing your experience. It quickly helped me to decide against any sort of PayPal transactions (regarding car sales).
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.