Advice about selling a car, recieving payment via paypal.

hasey
Contributor
Contributor

I'm selling my car (not on ebay) and have had someone offering to buy via paypal and send someone for collection. I know all about these scams where buyers say I'll pay with a bankers draft and add shipping fees and the seller has to sort it out with the shippers. I've always disregarded these and said cash on collection only but this one says he'll pay in full via paypal and arrange for someone to collect. I just want to know where I stand on the security of the payment. Do I have to wait any particular time for it to clear? Can he cancel payment once cleared or request a refund?

You hear so many scams going on I just want to be sure, I'm already dubious due to the fact he's saying he'll send someone else to collect. Or am I just best sticking to my guns and demanding cash on collection? Please help.

Login to Me Too
407 REPLIES 407

brytegirl1
Contributor
Contributor

I just got a text from <removed> wanting the same thing and I have an ad on autotrader in Florida. I would say it's a scam as well. 

Login to Me Too

LucaCornelus
Contributor
Contributor
I have received the same mesage. Even Paypal says no pending transaction. But I still receive messages to make the fee payment
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LucaCornelus

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

If the item requires shipping they will tell you that they will pay you extra and you must pay the agent via western union / moneygram BEFORE the funds are released to you.

They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg western union or moneygram.

Also their is no seller protection on paypal for any type of motor vehicle so personally i would accept cash on collection only or direct bank transfer.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

LucaCornelus
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal Dear lumail.com, Transaction ID: 72W56358RF799193C Status : Account Suspension In Progress It has come to our understanding that you have no intention of transferring the requested sum of £260.00 GBP via Western union for verification of the transaction between you and Victoria Chantel. PayPal heartily advise you to complete the transaction within the next 2-hours, as failure to do so will result to the limiting of your account access and Legal Action(s) against you personally, as we have already retrieved all your personal details from our database and we are ready to take appropriate Legal Action(s) against you. We have informed the INTERPOL for the violating PayPal's instructions and user's agreement in act of the 1999 Law in collaboration with the World Law Enforcement Agency. We are connecting directly from paypal and we want you to understand this might leads to act of fraudulent and in the act it may leads to 3 years imprisonment. You are expected to respond to this dispute before the next 24-hours with the required Western union Transfer details for proper verification. This message I received today from them...+message from "buyer" VICTORIA <removed>

Login to Me Too

LucaCornelus
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for advice.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Intars

Hi guys,
​​​​​​​Any time you receive an email about activity on your PayPal account, the safest way to confirm the emails’ validity is to log in to your PayPal account via the PayPal website (not using the links in the email received). Any of the activity reported in the email will be available to view. When you receive a payment, you’ll see the money in your account right away. Even if it was placed in your pending balance, you’ll see this. We want you to have complete visibility of your money. We won’t ask you to use a 3rd party such as Western Union, MoneyGram or any other payment processor. Please forward any suspicious emails or websites to spoof@paypal.co.uk .

Intars

Login to Me Too

Monka11
I have received all from selena Offering me PayPal payment for a car It is so wrong offering full price without more info about car and when I said no she still tried to convince me to open PayPal account as it is so easy to do. Such a scam realy. Her email: "Great! please consider it sold as i am willing to pay your full asking price because i need to buy it for my cousin asap, i have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it,sadly i would not be able to come personally to collect due to my hearing loss and me being in wheelchair. I would appreciate if you email me with more photos (if available) since i'm unable to see it in person. I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i'll pay you via PayPal today. Where is the pick up location so that i can inform the courier agent about it now?" Well I don't believe a word
Login to Me Too

Camaroon
New Community Member

Figured I'd throw my experience in here as well. I just posted a car on KBB and AutoTrader last week, and got the following text yesterday:

"Hello, is your Vehicle on Auto Trader still up for sale,, kindly email me timothy.p.heer @ gmail with the present condition and the last price, Ty"

So I emailed him yesterday and confirmed the condition and reiterated some of the things I posted in the ad. His response:

"Do you have the extra keys , Where did you get your  Vehicle serviced, Have you ever had any transmission repairs and Is there any rust on the Vehicle? I'm ready to pay your asking price but not cash in person because I am serving in the US army and currently been deploy to Fort Huachuca Military Base, Arizona and calls are restricted at the moment and my only quickest payment option is PayPal, its safe fast and secure and i will be responsible for the PayPal transaction charges so you can get your expected amount. If you don't have an account with PayPal, its pretty easy to open one, Just log onto www.paypal.com and sign up. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? As I am buying the Vehicle for my dad and I'm very sure he will love this Vehicle, his a mechanic and a handy man, so if there is anything that need to be fixed in it just let me know he will handle it. I have a mover that will come for the pick up once payment clears in your account and he will handle the title for me.I would appreciate if you email me with more pictures (if available) too since i won't be able to see this in person. I look forward to hear from you with the information below. I look forward to hear from you with the information below.

Your PayPal e-Mail Address :

Full name:

Firm Price:

Zip code for pickup

Mobile #

Regards,

Tim Pipe."

My gut initially told me soemthing was up, but I responded anyway, sent him a link to a OneDrive folder to view the picures, but told him I was having title issues (which is true) so I wouldn't provide him my PayPal info until that was cleared up. He responded:

"i'm okay with the firm price and condition,pls get back to me with your PayPal   details so i can proceed with the payment and contact the courier agent who will come to pick it up and deliver itin my   place.....Hope to read back from you soonest..Cheers"

That's when I did a quick search for "accepting PayPal for a car" and this thread came up. I'm going to respond and tell him I need someone to inspect the car in person, and they need to bring a certified check and ID and leave it at that. It's too bad, but hopefully others find this thread! 

Login to Me Too

Eli27
Contributor
Contributor

Don't do business with these people at all. Delete them and don't answer them. They're CROOKS! Even if someone shows up with a certified check, many these days are bogus. This is NOT a valid offer. Stay away from it!

Login to Me Too

Ropper
New Community Member

I put a car for £16k on Gumtree, without photos and had an e mail offering me full asking price and someone else would collect the car. It sounded "too good to be true" so that's when I spoke to Paypal and they do not recommend their service for cars.

I have e-mailed back asking for  proof of ID and address. Bank transfer seems the only safe way.

Cheers, Ropper

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.