Advice about selling a car, recieving payment via paypal.

hasey
Contributor
Contributor

I'm selling my car (not on ebay) and have had someone offering to buy via paypal and send someone for collection. I know all about these scams where buyers say I'll pay with a bankers draft and add shipping fees and the seller has to sort it out with the shippers. I've always disregarded these and said cash on collection only but this one says he'll pay in full via paypal and arrange for someone to collect. I just want to know where I stand on the security of the payment. Do I have to wait any particular time for it to clear? Can he cancel payment once cleared or request a refund?

You hear so many scams going on I just want to be sure, I'm already dubious due to the fact he's saying he'll send someone else to collect. Or am I just best sticking to my guns and demanding cash on collection? Please help.

Login to Me Too
407 REPLIES 407

Hi All,

9 times in 10 this WILL be a SCAM! Mainley Eeastern Europeans that will message you regarding the car, usually adding their e-mail addess and asking you to e-mail them there because they work funny hours or some other rubbish. 

They will make the payment via paypal and as soon as they have the car request a pullback on the funds leaving the motorist minus a car and with a massive minus balance in their paypal account.

If you think you have fallen for this scam you must ring PayPal immediatly as they still may be able to assist you in reversing the request before it's too late. 

and remember PayPal & Ebay DO NOT cover Cars, Vans or Animals under buyer protection. If you use Paypal for a car you by law are taking the risk yourself and PayPal/Ebay are not liable for your losses. 

I'd avoid using PayPal at all costs! It's 2016 most people can sent a bank transfer from their mobile phone or bring cash, If they want your car so much they will bring cash!

Peace out! 

Login to Me Too

mike_eby
New Community Member

Thanks to everyone on this thread. See the email below:

Attention:This message originated externally.

Thank you for getting back to me,can you assure me that i will not be disappointed if i buy this vehicle as a Birthday gift for my Dad? as I’m ready to pay your asking price but not cash in person because I’m software engineer in Hewlett Packard,(HP) and a contract staff so i cant handle this in person.My only means of payment is PayPal,its safe fast and secure and i will be responsible for the paypal transaction charges so you can get your expected amount.If you don’t have a paypal account,its pretty easy to open one,Just log on to their web and sign up.I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? as the day is fast approaching. I have a mover that will come for the pick up once payment clears in your account and he will handle the title for me.I look forward to hear from you with the information below.

Your PayPal e-Mail Address :
Your last asking price:
Your Zip code for pickup:
Your Cell phone

I would've fell for it if all of you hadn't commented. Thank you unknown people! It's nice to know we're not all scammers.

Login to Me Too

butlerglc
Contributor
Contributor

It will never end! Almost 2 years later and its still the same wording on that scam email.

Everyone be safe this Holiday season and good luck with all your Car sales!

Gary From Washington State!

Login to Me Too

nemmartins

Funny, that even I am in a different country than most of the posts here, Portugal by the way, I also received one of those messages for a car I'm selling now.

It started from a Text message to my phone sent from an SMS Online system, GMX. Impossible to identify the sender.

the text said "Hi! Is your car at (the website) still available? If so, please send me an email to ..."

I did sent an email, then I got an email back saying:

"

Thanks so much for your email,am quite okay with it and i would like to know the best price,I would also like to know it last time of service, Please how neat is the body condition.

Thanks and Best Regards  "

I replied back with all the car details, body condition, etc, and he replied back:

"
Hello ,
Thanks for your response.I'm satisfied with the condition of the car and Agree with the price,I need to let you know that my shipping agent will be coming for the pick up as soon as the payment has been complete and approved by PayPal and the shipping agent will be the ones to help me handle all other necessary details to complete the deal when they get to your home address for the pick up. .so i'll be buying the  merchandise without seeing it, i'll arrange the pick-up of the merchandise with a Private Courier Service as soon as you get your payment and if you don't have an account with paypal, its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one. Just log on to paypal, I need you to provide the following details so that i can proceed with the Payment...

Your PayPal e-Mail Address :
Your Full Name:
Your Mobile Number :
Total Cost of it:

Soon as i make the payment and you get the funds, the Courier Service will come and pick up the merchandise at your home at your convenient time also the courier will help me sign the required papers.

Have a nice day."

I replied him saying the I would only accept cash or bank transfer, and the I got this from him:

"
Well I can understand you but you need to know that I am at work right now. I can only pay through PayPal at the moment as i do not have access to my bank account online, but i have it attached to my PayPal account, and this is why i insisted on using PayPal to pay,all i will need is your PayPal email address to make the payments and if you do not have a PayPal account yet, its pretty easy to set one up another PayPal account at paypal, i will be expecting your email.I have a pick up agent  that will come for the pick up after payments has been sorted.

Thanks and regards..."

I will not reply him anymore, is funny that he has acces to Paypal, but not to his online banking. When I saw the Paypal word on his emails, It was easy to understand he is after a complain after the car was in his possession. And probably I end upo without car and money. And let's be honest! Who buys a car without seeing it first?!
Login to Me Too

Lunatyk
Contributor
Contributor

I just got the same stuff.  I used a different e-mail to communicate (not my paypal account) as it seemed suspect from the start. 

What's weird is that I don't think Paypal would honor anything regarding the transaction of an automobile.  eBay, yes.  Soley Paypal, no.

I also find it difficult to understand how this would play out in the buyers favor in anyway other way than he/she gets said car... I'm not about to try and find out though.

Login to Me Too

Lunatyk
Contributor
Contributor

I just noticed from an earlier reply... they're simply trying to get us to pay the "shipping" fee through Money Gram and forging Paypal e-mails for payment.

LOL - I hope no one gets fooled into that.

Login to Me Too

jagrosaab
New Community Member

Morning I am selling a car thru cars.com & had an offer to pay me with paypal then have the car picked up by a transport company ? Scam ?

Login to Me Too

RandyDe
Contributor
Contributor
Definitely!
Login to Me Too

Eli27
Contributor
Contributor

Big time SCAM! Stay away and don't correspond with the crooks anymore.

Login to Me Too

JM6

I'll do as many did in the previous posts: Copy/paste the suspicious email I received.

Thanks for the e-mail,

My name is Raymond James, Am buying this for a cousin and I am not in town at the moment because am in the Airforce and I am (U.S.A.F) SMSgt E-8  and have been in base for some time also we are not allowed to make or receive calls frequently for security reasons but we have internet access and that is our major means of communication to the outside world. So can you assure me i will not be disappointed buying this from you ? I have a mover that will come for pickup once payment clears first.

Whats its condition, any damages?
Do you have the title in hand?
Are you the original owner?
What is your reason for selling?
Do you have any offers yet?
What is your paypal email & 
Home Address/pickup location info:
&Cell phone Number:Firm price:

Looking forward to read back from you

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.