5.4% Fee for Ebay sale

Hlnprcvl

Please can anyone advise whether there are any circumstances where Paypal fees would exceed 3.4% + £0.20 for a domestic transaction?

I've just sold something through Ebay to a UK buyer for £104.99 and the Paypal fee has come out at £5.87, which I calculate to be 5.4% of the transaction + £0.20. 

Just a bit confused as to why it would be higher in this instance as the fees for my other sales all seem to be 3.4% + £0.20 and I can't find anything online to indicate that there is a higher tier or any additional fees that I might have incurred.

Any advice would be gratefully received as I am very new to selling via Ebay 🙂

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Hlnprcvl

The more other threads that I read the more it appears that the payment must have been made in another currency and the extra 2% is an international fee. However as the delivery address was within the UK, I had just assumed that the payment would be made in GBP. This is rather annoying as I am liable for the conversion charge even though I had no way of knowing that the buyer would be paying in another currency or agreeing to this... Does anyone know a way round this? Is there any way to block payments unless they are GBP, other than specifying something in the Ebay description?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Hlnprcvl

Whilst they may have an address in the UK, they 'may' be paying from abroad if they are on holiday or staying in another country, best check with your buyer.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.