$200 chargeback fee?

Tony211
Contributor
Contributor

I was talking with Paypal customer service this morning about a $20 chargeback fee that had been charged to my account.

The representative told me that Paypal actually paid a $200 fee (to whom I do not know) and only charges me $20.

She said Paypal pays $200 on EVERY chargeback but only passes $20 onto the customer.

Online search showed that merchants pay $20 to $100 for each chargeback.  I couldn't find any reference to the $200 fee the representative told me that Paypal had to pay.  And I've not found anything that card processors like Paypal have to pay $200/chargeback or that they have to pay anything at all.  I've only found that merchants get charged chargeback fee.  

I just find this hard to believe that 1) Paypal actually pays $200 for each chargeback, and  2) that Paypal would absorb any fees (especially of this magnitude) without passing them along to the customer.

So I'd like to know more information where this $200 figure comes from.  Is it accurate?  To whom is it paid?  Visa?  Mastercard?  The customers bank?  

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Tony211 

https://www.verifi.com/in-the-news/much-chargeback-fee/#:~:targetText=The%20chargeback%20fee%20is%20...

A chargeback fee is assessed to you by your acquiring bank. The chargeback fee is used to cover chargeback-related costs accrued by your acquirer. Depending on your acquiring bank, the chargeback fee can vary from $20 – $100.

Every dollar lost to chargeback fraud costs you an estimated $2.40. In other words, a $100 chargeback fee costs you $240. If you’re a high-risk merchant, you face higher chargeback fees and must pay other program fees – making it even more critical for you to prevent chargebacks.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Tony211
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, yes ... I found exactly the same thing online.  It doesn't explain why I was told by the Paypal representative that Paypal is actually paying a $200 chargeback fee.  

Login to Me Too

Tony211
Contributor
Contributor

Where does that $200 figure come from and is it indeed accurate?  If Paypal pays $200 on every chargeback and only charges customers $20, they lose $180 on every chargeback.  Really?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.