legal action

cheeky1960
New Community Member

I have been trying to sell something and agreed a price, i told the buyer once the money has gone into my paypal i would give details of pick up.

I thought he would do the transaction by direct debit but he has done with western union and im thinking its scam as its asking me to pay 250 pounds as hes paid in 540 pounds.

I'm now confused and have been sent an email for breaching of paypal policy and threatening me with legal action, is this a legit email or not?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@cheeky1960

This is a typical scam ..................

They may buy on Ebay but they use an anonymous or hijacked Ebay account and DO NOT have a Paypal account so they can't use Ebay checkout. They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk or spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

OR
The 'fake' paypal email will tell you that the buyer has paid for the item + shipping costs but you must send those shipping costs to the courier/ shipping agent via western union, moneygram or walmart etc BEFORE the funds are released to you.
They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

They also 'sometimes' threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram or Western Union etc.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@cheeky1960

This is a typical scam ..................

They may buy on Ebay but they use an anonymous or hijacked Ebay account and DO NOT have a Paypal account so they can't use Ebay checkout. They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk or spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

OR
The 'fake' paypal email will tell you that the buyer has paid for the item + shipping costs but you must send those shipping costs to the courier/ shipping agent via western union, moneygram or walmart etc BEFORE the funds are released to you.
They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

They also 'sometimes' threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram or Western Union etc.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Brosey1
New Community Member

Someone had almost got me on the paypal. They wanted to purchase a bebe dress that I have listed on ebay. so they was saying to pay they wanted me to purchase a $200 apple pay card and make the dress as a gift to a friend. now the person had said they had sent the money but for me to get the money I had to send the receipt of the $200 apple pay card to the paypal email. Now as I'm going back and forth with this person through a phone number they had provided, I had started doing my research on this. Finding out its scam and as me reading on through this same problem with other people. I had look at previous emails from paypal and what they had sent me was not paypal. These scammers had sent me an email saying taking legal action. Now paypal will return the money back to that buyer. I even told them to screenshot the payment, never did. DO NOT FALL FOR THE LEGAL ACTION EMAIL FROM THESE PEOPLE. YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE YOUR MONEY BACK AND THEY END UP GETTING SOMETHING FREE FROM WHAT YOU ARE SELLING. I think I rather go to a store that can buy my clothing and get same day cash. If selling on ebay do all transaction on that site or whatever site you are using

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.