agents

kevinwk66
Contributor
Contributor

I received an Email from a suppossed agent from Paypal how do I know it is from Paypal itself and not some fake Email?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Insignia3D
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Kevin,

You’ll know that an email is not from PayPal when:

• It begins with a generic greeting like ‘Dear user’ or ‘Hello, PayPal member.’ We'll always begin with your first and last name or the business name on your PayPal account.
  • It asks for financial and other personal information. Our emails will never ask for your bank account number, debit or credit card number etc. We'll never ask for your full name, your account password, or the answers to your PayPal security questions in an email.
  • It asks you to provide the tracking number of a dispatched item, before you've received the payment into your PayPal account.
  • It includes a software update to install on your computer.

Here are some security tips to help you stay protected online:

• Even if a URL contains the word 'PayPal', it may not be a PayPal webpage.
  • When using PayPal, always ensure that the URL address listed at the top of the browser displays as www.paypal.com The 's' in ‘https’ means the website is secure.
  • Look for the 'lock' symbol that appears in the address bar. This symbol indicates that the site you're visiting is secure.

If you think you’ve received a phishing email, forward it to spoof@paypal.co.uk (so we can investigate) and then delete the fake email from your mailbox. If you‘ve responded to a fraudulent email and believe your PayPal account may now have been accessed, you should report the unauthorised access immediately.

Note:

• If you provided any personal information in response to a phishing email or on a spoof website, change your Password and Security Questions immediately.
  • If you provided any financial information, contact your bank and your credit card issuer and tell them about the situation.
  • Review your PayPal payment and transfer activity to check that you recognise all recent activity.

If you've found this response helpful make sure to give me a kudos!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

Insignia3D
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Kevin,

You’ll know that an email is not from PayPal when:

• It begins with a generic greeting like ‘Dear user’ or ‘Hello, PayPal member.’ We'll always begin with your first and last name or the business name on your PayPal account.
  • It asks for financial and other personal information. Our emails will never ask for your bank account number, debit or credit card number etc. We'll never ask for your full name, your account password, or the answers to your PayPal security questions in an email.
  • It asks you to provide the tracking number of a dispatched item, before you've received the payment into your PayPal account.
  • It includes a software update to install on your computer.

Here are some security tips to help you stay protected online:

• Even if a URL contains the word 'PayPal', it may not be a PayPal webpage.
  • When using PayPal, always ensure that the URL address listed at the top of the browser displays as www.paypal.com The 's' in ‘https’ means the website is secure.
  • Look for the 'lock' symbol that appears in the address bar. This symbol indicates that the site you're visiting is secure.

If you think you’ve received a phishing email, forward it to spoof@paypal.co.uk (so we can investigate) and then delete the fake email from your mailbox. If you‘ve responded to a fraudulent email and believe your PayPal account may now have been accessed, you should report the unauthorised access immediately.

Note:

• If you provided any personal information in response to a phishing email or on a spoof website, change your Password and Security Questions immediately.
  • If you provided any financial information, contact your bank and your credit card issuer and tell them about the situation.
  • Review your PayPal payment and transfer activity to check that you recognise all recent activity.

If you've found this response helpful make sure to give me a kudos!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.