Refunding fees

daisylynn

I had two transactions where the person sent money the wrong way (with the fees) so I refunded the money and they immediately turned around and sent the money family/friends. My balance wasn't showing right and after looking into it, I see where paypal says those fees are not refunded! Where did that money go?? Is there anyway to get it refunded since both times they turned around and sent the exact amount the correct way (neither person realized they hadn't sent via family/friends)? I find it unfair that I lost money that was suppose to go to me just because they sent it wrong. Please help.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@daisylynn 

Sorry, those fees are no longer being refunded. The money went to PayPal because it is fees PayPal charges you for accepting goods and services payments. It is the sender's fault. Ask the sender to split the fees in part or whole or let it go and train your senders on how to send non-goods and services payments. If you are receiving money in exchange for goods and services, you should take into consideration the expense and build it into your asking price as PayPal is providing payment processing services to you. If the friends and family option is abused, PayPal may disable it and it wouldn't be fair for others who do  pay the fee to subsidize your goods and services transactions.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@daisylynn 

Sorry, those fees are no longer being refunded. The money went to PayPal because it is fees PayPal charges you for accepting goods and services payments. It is the sender's fault. Ask the sender to split the fees in part or whole or let it go and train your senders on how to send non-goods and services payments. If you are receiving money in exchange for goods and services, you should take into consideration the expense and build it into your asking price as PayPal is providing payment processing services to you. If the friends and family option is abused, PayPal may disable it and it wouldn't be fair for others who do  pay the fee to subsidize your goods and services transactions.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Josh142
Contributor
Contributor
Paypal is scamming sellers. If you refund a customer for whatever reason they will not refund sellers paypal fees.
Login to Me Too

artihi

Agreed.  We had charged a customer for services and the builder would not let us do one of the tests so we issued a partial refund.  I noticed Paypal didn't reverse their fees to that portion of the refund like they normally did so I called to make sure I wasn't missing something.  Yeah, new policy.. Paypal keeps the transaction fees whether you do a partial or full refund.  That seems criminal to me.  Needless to say, I'm done using Paypal for my business effective immediately!

Login to Me Too

Bell9
Contributor
Contributor
How do I use other services than PayPal due to non fee refunds
Login to Me Too

Mm131
Someone sent me money wrongly and I refunded it back but I got charged with the fee. PayPal refuses to credit back the fee to my account. This is so no fair!!!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.