Refund fee in effect?

Tamberav
Contributor
Contributor
Does PayPal keep the 2.9 percent fee now or not? A buyer paid with wrong address so I refunded and he sent again. Now he is saying he used the wrong credit card and wants to redo the transaction. It is an expensive item so that's 22 in fees each time. It shows them as being refunded to the buyer and it looks like I am getting my half back too but the policy says otherwise? Are they going to collect the fees? Is this something I need to open the resolution center for since the buyer is **bleep** up?
Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Tamberav 

No the fees are no longer refunded.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Tamberav
Contributor
Contributor
So what do I do? Can I open a resolution center ticket? Will PayPal help me since the buyer messed up? I have his message log.
Login to Me Too

Obcidi
Contributor
Contributor
What was the outcome of this? I just had the same problem, Channel Islands customer tried to pull a fast one by fudging his address as UK (as they all do on the Islands) and PayPal has charged ME a fee, even though the refund was processed through eBay with the reason as 'something wrong with buyers address'. If this is the intended procedure then not only is it plain wrong to penalise the seller but it also leaves sellers open to potentially costly abuse.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Obcidi 

The channel islands are part of the UK so send your buyer their item as presumably they have paid.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Obcidi
Contributor
Contributor
Channel Islands are not part of the UK, that's a common misunderstanding by mainlanders and as such, another reason the Islanders feel they can try it on. All couriers apart from Royal Mail have either higher shipping rates for the Channel Islands or their network simply doesn't cover the Islands because the increased cost to them doesn't fit their business model. The problem is the Channel Islands share the UK's postcode system which is great for Royal Mail but a nightmare for other third party services who have to find a way to filter these locations by postcode in all their shipping, payment gateway and check out integrations. The same problem goes for Nothern Island and the Scottish Highlands. I used to manage a global eCom site and configuring table rates to play nicely with warehousing and shipping integrations to guard against massively inflated shipping prices to these 'UK' postcodes was a big problem. For large volume parcels the rate could literally be 10-15 times the UK mainland rate. Anyway, Hermes for example, simply do not ship to the Channel Islands meaning a seller is stick between a rock and a hard place when a Channel Islander has 'accidentally' listed their country as UK. All Islanders are very aware of this postcode/country loophole in shipping systems and they are all very aware there are specific country options such as "Channel Islands" or "Jersey" in the eBay address settings but they choose not to use them to try and dodge shipping fees. For reasons mentioned above, this is also why eBay provide the option to exclude shipping to Highlands, Islands and NI on the seller settings but it seems this only filters buyers by their Country not their postcode. If eBay would stop validating non-UK postcodes as UK addresses this wouldn't be a problem. For anybody reading who is having a similar problem, the solution if your system allows, is to create special table rates for the specific poscodes in these locations that override any table rates based on the country address field. The list of postcodes can be found easily with a quick Google 'postcodes for Highlands and Islands'. Of course, eBay doesn't have this ability, it relies on the country field being set correctly by the buyer. Hence the fustration as a seller who is paying fees to PayPal/eBay for eBay's mistaken validation.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.