Phishing Scam Via Text Message -- NOTE: PayPal is wholly uninterested in pursuing this activity !

martinswartout
New Community Member

I do have a PayPal.... for security purposes, no one else is linked to this account.  (I have had my prior PayPal hacked when I obtained a PayPal Credit Card so I am ULTRA Cautious).

My wife received a Phishing Text Message today for $2500 is Towing.  She doesn't have a PayPal account.  But the URL sure looked to take you to your PayPal Account Login...   Undoubtedly, if you did put in your Login Credentials.... you'd be providing access to your account.

What really offends me is that this is likely INTERSTATE FRAUD, which the F.B.I. and the Commerce Department just love to persue... but PayPal was not interested in obtaining any of the information.  I used to work USAF Intelligence....  I know that given a URL that is taking folks to a nefarious spot.... that the URL is also VALID for BackTracking and, potentially, a great target for LAW ENFORCEMENT to send their own gift to that website to "catch the bad guys".  In todays world, when corporate types choose to ignore illegal funding sources in the spirit of expedience, convenience, and corporate profit... well, the enable the bad guys.  And, unless you somehow missed the news over the past TWO DECADES, the bad guys also include Terrorist-based organizations who are always seeking methods to fund their operations.   I have filed a Police Report with my local police but I am seriously considering how to embarrass PayPal...   I wonder if they have a Corporate Board of Directors and if their emails are available.  I am so, so, disappointed in PayPal.

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.