Paypal recently started charging fees for sending money to friends and family

SmartmanAZ
New Community Member

Why are you charging me to send money to friends and family? We are in the same country and both have PayPal accounts and Papal never used to charge fees for sending them money. Recently that changed and for friends and family PayPal has made my "primary funding source unavailable" so PayPal uses my backup debit card (to the same account as the primary funding source) and charges a fee for sending. This has been happening for a little over a month. And it is impossible to get an answer from PayPal. 

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SmartmanAZ 

Friends/family payments are only free from your paypal balance OR bank account.

If you send using a debit or credit card then there is the card issuers fee to pay.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

jacquesivann
New Community Member

The thing is, sometimes PayPal won't allow you to select your linked bank account for the transfer to be fee-free. They automatically select your debit card, and will not allow you to select your bank account. sneaky af smh

Login to Me Too

aphorism130
New Community Member

If I send overseas or to someone new, I seem to get dinged for $5 even if it's a friend. Not sure why exactly.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.