Need advice on identification in person issue

galxcom
New Community Member

Hello, community!

I've been using this my PayPal account already for ± 5 years. Today I paid for plane tickets and AirBnb via PayPal, and simultaneously with authorising this payment, I received an e-mail request for some new confirmation of my identity. A personal confirmation (sic!). After years of using PayPal which was previously confirmed by phone number, photo of passport and connection with my bank account and bank card. Here's the e-mail message:

Please confirm your identity 

Dear [username],

We are emailing you to let you know we need you to complete an extra step - verify your identity in person. This is a legal requirement we have to meet. You can complete this important process before 24 September 2021.

If we can’t confirm your identity in person by that date, we will have to restrict what you can do with your PayPal account.

How to confirm your identity

Please bring to nearest 'Svyaznoy' store your reference number nnn-nnn-nnnn and your passport. 

If you are citizen of other country please bring your reference number nnn-nnn-nnnn, your passport and your residences permit if you have one, and your migration card.

Note:

• You do not need contact us after confirming your identity in person in 'Svyaznoy.' We will be in touch via email if anything else is required from you.
  • It may take several days for your information to reach us after you provide it to 'Svyaznoy.'
  • Confirmation of your identity in person will cost 300 RUB. Please bear in mind that you can be requested to pay cash in 'Svyaznoy.'
  • Find your nearest branch: https://www.svyaznoy.ru/shops

Thank you for your cooperation.

Sincerely,

PayPal

The problem is that I cannot make personal confirmation until September 24 as written in the e-mail from PayPal – now I am temporary studying in another country and because of COVID pandemic it's impossible for me to go to Russia and do that sudden personal verification.

If anyone has encountered the situation of the impossibility of confirmation by an analogous request, then please share your experience. I still have two months for everything about everything, I can get my bearings:

1) What kind of restrictions will the PayPal introduce if the account is not confirmed by a specific date?
2) I have my valid passport and all docs here with me here. My phone number connected to PayPal account works fine. Maybe it is possible to make another type of confirmation? I don't know how, via skype, zoom.. whatever. Or personally in Portugal (where I am currently studying) or, for example, there is a person in Russia with a general power of attorney – could this be a solution to solve this? Anyone knows? 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@galxcom 

Looks like a scam spoof email to me !!!

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@galxcom 

Looks like a scam spoof email to me !!!

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.