Is this a scam?

Smudgeboss
Contributor
Contributor

I was supposedly sent 3000 from a new friend through PayPal.  the money never showed.    She said that she got an email and I should have too.  I checked my spam and found this:

Recently there’s been an activity on your account that seems unusual compared to your normal account activities.

Your $3000.00 payment from  (her email address) has been received and withheld safely.

•  This action seems suspicious 
  •  We have emailed the sender on how you can claim your funds, please contact the sender to claim your funds 
  •   This is part of our security process and helps ensure that PayPal continue to be safer way to buy online

She sent me a screenshot of her email [this is typed in by myself]:  

Recently there's been an activity on the receiver account that seems unusual compared to the normal account activities

Your $3000.00 payment to (my email address) has been received and withheld safely.

*the action seems suspicious

*PayPal needed 15% commission fee ($450)

*the sender has to pay the fee on behalf of the receiver

*The fee can be p[aid directly on PayPal or through cryptocurrency encryption

She is now saying I need to send her the 450 and then she will pay it.  This looks like a scam to me.  Does PayPal charge a 15% commission fee in situations like this?  Plus the wording of the last part of the last bullet seems off.  I have not paid this, don't think I am gonna  looks like a scam to me.  What do you think?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Smudgeboss 

Yep 100% scam.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.