Helping Prevent Falling For Fake Paypal Phishing Emails

sophsweet
New Community Member

I received a phishing email to the secondary email on my paypal account, which said (with heavy irony) that Paypal was looking after me and I had a limitation on my account.

It then offered a button to "Go to My Account" and one to "contact us" and another to 'tell if an email is phishing.

Naturally, I went to a browser and logged into Paypal. They have an extra layer of security of sending a code to my phone, so got in safely.

No problems with my account were flagged up (but when flustered trying to distinguish a phishing email from an account notification and the distraction can cause hiccups) and i searched Help for Reporting Phishing.

The important message here (which Paypal need to make clear and plain at the top) is "we won't ask you to click through links on an email".

I called in via, Contact us, got a code to enter once I got through and called the customer service helpline. I'm surprised in 2021 that autistic people can be discriminated against with a phone line, which asks you time and again to say what you're calling about. This is very difficult and we do not all have words at the top of the head to do this. It keeps nagging you, which is very stressful. It needs a simple menu as we do not know what divisions of staff they have. We've all been passed pillar to post. it could be 1. accounts 2. refunds etc. Nice and simple. Accessibility, diversity and inclusion.

Really great guy helped and resolved my query. (What a difference it makes when customer service staff are humane and understanding not alienating and rude).

Thought I'd share this so if anyone searches for "how to spot a fake paypal phishing email" the message is clear and direct "we do not ever ask you to click through links in our emails but go to your account in the usual way"

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.