Paypal Access Card and foreign currencies

Ad500
Contributor
Contributor

I have both pounds sterling and Euros in my Paypal account. If I use my Access card for a transaction in Euros, will I be charged a "foreign transaction fee"? Will the funds be taken from my Euro balance, or converted from my pounds sterling balance?

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

Ad500
Contributor
Contributor

Does anybody at Paypal actually visit these forums?

Login to Me Too

Ad500
Contributor
Contributor

I don't know why I'm bothering to answer my own question when this forum seems pretty much inactive, however...

I rang Paypal and was informed that despite having a Euro balance in my account, any transaction in Euros that is made with the Access Card will still be converted to Pounds Sterling and will still incur a foreign transaction fee.

My whole reason for getting the card was to use abroad so it's completely useless to me now. I really can't see any benefit to this card whatsoever.

Login to Me Too

bodyworkzone
Contributor
Contributor

There's no benefit to you, but there's a big benefit to Paypal. They get to charge you 2.5% currency conversion fee even though the market rate is more like 1 to 1.5%.

Login to Me Too

kurbads
Contributor
Contributor

Open a PayPal account in somebody's name in that country you want to take the money to. 

Login to Me Too

lonifar
Contributor
Contributor

cc24b2495e821c567721ebfb997fc55a.png

when going to different country's try changing your primary currency and it might use that first instead of your normal currency.

I have yet to try this though.

Login to Me Too

HubsterUK
Contributor
Contributor

I don't use the PP Card when abroad because of the fees...There are much better cards to use e.g. Halifax Clarity Credit Card...no fees + the FX is at the commerical rate and not the tourist rate. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.