I found direct debit named pay pal charging me 19,99 one month

Magdalena2007
Contributor
Contributor
Hi, few days ago I found out I have some direct debit set for 19,99 called pay pal. It charged me on 25th on May on previous mentioned amount. I cancelled it straight away, as I didn't know what's this. Now PayPal says it didn't realised one of my payments because I cancelled my debit. The only thing is PayPal was supposed to be free and I don't want to pay for it. Why was I charged 19,99 £(hopefully only once not every month since I have it)? I didn't notice anything like this going out of my account before. Only when I wNt to my Direct debits.
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Magdalena2007

When you authorise companies to use your bank account to fund payments eg water bill, electric bill etc then they set up a direct debit mandate so they can take your payments when due.

So that is what paypal has to do as well. The payment showing in your direct debits would have been the last seller that you paid using paypal and funding it from your bank account.

It did not mean that that amount would be paid monthly, it would only change when you paid for another item and used your bank account to fund the payment.

However the payment shown in your bank account / direct debits may have a different date to the transaction in your paypal account as when you buy something paypal credit the seller and then paypal take the wait for the funds to transfer from your bank account.

So to check the payment was a seller you paid look at transactions done 1-2 days before it showed in your bank account.

Paypal is free to buy, that payment was for something that you purchased and now by cancelling the direct debit you can no longer fund payments from your bank account and will have to use a debit or credit card instead.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.