Don't Use USPS 'Package Intercept' Service!!

CaliCatKC
New Community Member

Just a heads-up on a new service that USPS is now offering called "Package Intercept.'  It is a joke and a total rip-off!

I do a lot of shipping and this sounded like a wonderful service!  A couple months ago I accidentally shipped a package to '26 Main St.' instead of '25 Main St.'  My client received the usps tracking info and immedately contacted me about the error.

I had put the package in the post office's pakcage bin late on a Saturday night, so when my client contacted me early on Sunday morning, I went to usps.com and initiated the package intercept request. It said that my package was eligable so I proceeded to spend $11.50 (original shipping had only been $8) for the re-route.

All seemed well and my request went through.  I did see where it said that the intercept was not guaranteed, but no where on the info page did it say that the fee was non-refundable (AMX also reviewed the info page and concurred).

Well, the package was never intercepted even though tracking clearly shows that it did not leave my post office until Monday and did not get to (the wrong adress) until the following Thursday.

After I received an email from usps saying, 'Sorry we couldn't get to the package in time,' I initiated a refund through the USPS website and never heard anything. After a month I called USPS and was told by both the representative and her supervisor, that the fee is simply for their 'attempt' to locate and re-route the package and that it is non-refundable!

AMX refunded the charge for me. 

USPS is losing money.  They have a devised a 'service' that will take a crazy amount of money from your pockets for 'attempting' to re-route a package.  There is no proof or guarantee that they will even try to intercept the package. They don't have to! They get paid for this no matter what.

Login to Me Too
34 REPLIES 34

Kmopotato
Contributor
Contributor
Headed over to LF post office. They were more helpful in person but that isn't saying much. Supervisor explained, they'd leave a pink slip on my door if I had to pay instead of delivering my package, so I'd have to get the slip, then go to post office to pay (again) to get my stuff. I then called the EC post office which skipped all the robot **bleep** and gave me a human right away. He said I should've gotten it today, but found out both my tracking numbers were bad and the employee that handled my stuff didn't scan it out correctly so it's stuck as "arrived at post office". I'm gonna give it until Friday and call back.
Login to Me Too

mgemm
Contributor
Contributor

The first post in this thread was in years ago when the intercept service was new I have no idea how to get this information to anyone who might need it now.  I just had an intercept situation and I was similar to some of those reported here-- sent something to the wrong address and put in an intercept request before it even left my city, going halfway across the country.  I was aware that it was not guaranteed, and that they would not charge my card if it was not intercepted.  The fees included estimated postage to the new destination (1 zip-code away) and if the postage was less I'd get a refund but if the postage was more, the entire postage amount would be charged to the recipient (!?).  Anyhow, it was NOT intercepted despite being scanned six times before delivery to the wrong address.  My card was not charged, but I will file a complaint and next time I will know better than to even try.

But there is something that probably will work--  figure out what the delivery post office is and then call that post office direct. Do not try to do this through the 800 number.  When I have done this (twice in the last year) I have spoken to a pleasant and helpful person who was happy to watch for the package and return it to me.  And it worked!  Oh, and once I had the wrong post office but the guy figured out which branch it should be and gave me their phone number!  There are lots of good people at the PO, it's just that management thinks they can save money by isolating them from us.

I hope this helps somebody, and if somebody knows a better or more timely way to post it please feel free to cut and paste!

Login to Me Too

verronicka
Contributor
Contributor

I submitted a package intercept request and my package is lost forever now. There have been no updates to my package location since I submitted the request; all the USPS website says when I enter the tracking number is it's "in transit." I had a whole bunch of gift cards in my package and I have no way to recover them! This is a huge loss. I only mailed the package less than 20 miles away. Ridiculous. Trying to call the Customer Service line is a joke. I do not have an accent; I do public speaking, and the automated voice that tells me to spell my first and last name and my address cannot understand me. The whole thing doesn't make sense! I wish my package would just get sent to the original destination if they are not going to return it to me. At least someone would enjoy it. Now both of us are left without the items.

Login to Me Too

mgemm
Contributor
Contributor

Veronika, your situation is different again but don't give up yet!  Your information about the status is incomplete.  USPS will confirm first that the intercept request has been processed, and will also let you know if it was unsuccessful and that the package is being delivered to the original addressee.   In my case, above, it was unsuccessful   but my customer was able to get the package from his old landlord who recognized his name, and all it cost was an uber across town which I was happy to pay for.  So I was lucky.

Your situation is different because the shipment is apparently lost.  You need to file a trace with USPS and if they agree that it is lost they will pay an the indemnity, which is something anyhow.  But if it was undelivered for some reason it could work its way back to you after several weeks. And you didn't say whether you had called the delivery post office for the original address, but if you haven't it would be a good idea to do so.  Last but not least, you said that you were mailing gift cards and they really need to be treated the same as cash.  In other words, they should have been sent by Registered Mail which is approximately a zillion times safer and probably will cost less than an intercept order. 

Login to Me Too

verronicka
Contributor
Contributor

It took over a MONTH, but I eventually ended up getting the package back. I couldn't believe it! I knew that it was just sitting in limbo somewhere, and that was so frustrating. I don't ever want to go through this again, but I suppose it was a good learning experience. (Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want)

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.