What is the successor of Adaptive Payments?

waldgeist
Contributor
Contributor

We're a Germany-based startup and would like to setup a C2C sharing-economy business model that requires a simple split payment:

* user A pays money to user B for a service

* our platform gets a commission of x% on this

We would like to make payments as easy as possible for both sides, since both users are customers (hence C2C), not full-fledged businesses. The easiest way would be to transfer money from one paypal account to another, using just the e-mail address of both parties.

A couple of months ago, we thought that Adaptive Payments was a good choice for this. But when we started to implement it, we saw on the docs that it is deprecated now. But there is no hint about a successor product. We know that there is Braintree marketplace, but this is available in the US only. The only Braintree product available in Germany is v.zero, but that just seems to be a simple PayPal checkout button.

Is there any PayPal product available in the EU that allows split payments like Adaptive Payments did? Or do we have to switch to Stripe Connect or MangoPay for such business cases?

Login to Me Too
27 REPLIES 27

raymondwclark
Contributor
Contributor

Is there any news on what the successor of Adaptive Payments is?  I am also trying to do something along the lines of Chained Payments, however, being a new business, I can't and will not be approved to use adaptive payments.  I also see that Express Checkout Parallel Payments has been deprecated, among a few other methods that could have been used.  Using Payouts would incur an additional charge to the sender, so that method is out of the question.  Any answer to this would be great, thanks!

Login to Me Too

magnetique
New Community Member

MTS_Ciaran: why you recommend Express Checkout Parralel payments, when this service is deprecated as of January 1, 2017?

The link for new integration of Express Checkout doesn't even mention parralel payments at all.

I'm on the same boat I'm not allowed to gather money and then manage payouts for legal reason, I need to make parallel payments but it seems that PayPal will not help us with this business model...

Login to Me Too

MTS_Ciaran

Hi All, 

Just wanted to update this thread with the latest status, so new applications for Adaptive will be stopping from Dec 1st 2017, so if you are integrating Adaptive and need an APP ID please get it in ASAP. Existing APPs using Adaptive will continue to operate and be supported. 

Just to add that a lot of the use cases of Adaptive are covered with MarketPlace API's https://developer.paypal.com/docs/marketplaces/pp4mp/

@magnetique - To answer your question, yes EC parallel would be a good alternative for AP parallel, actually EC is a lot more feature rich. 

Login to Me Too

pif_dev
Contributor
Contributor

Hi , 

Does Paypal for Marketplaces also support "Recurring Payments" ?

Regards,

pif_dev

Login to Me Too

Druward
Contributor
Contributor

Hey,

If anyone is able to share how they have combated this problem could you please contact me as we are ALSO suffering from the same problem as all of you.

Our use case is: 

- User X Donates £10 to user Y and our platform would take a % 

- We would also need to support recurring/subscriptions and not just a one off payment

Basically PayPals version of Stripe Connect.

KR

Login to Me Too

Druward
Contributor
Contributor

contact dru.ward AT outlook.com 🙂 

Login to Me Too

orlahealy

Did anyone find the solution to the problem? I am looking for the answer but what's the point in creating forums when they are going to be full of questions but not a real answer to them. 

Having this problem in Cork, Ireland. Send an email to customer support only to find out they dunno the answer to that (may surprise many but i wasn't surprised) PayPal is too big of a company for too little people to operate and handle, its been like this for decades. 

Stripe connect (one-to-many) https://stripe.com/connect has the option to do this but problem is,even though stripe is Irish company but not many people knows about stripe here, don't ask me why.

Brain-tree is out of reach for Ireland. So we are only left with one option PayPal which is known for not caring, while doing their own thing. Its absolutely absurd to deprecate a product without launching its better replacement that is feature rich but guess what in PayPals world that is perfectly a norm and routine practice. Yawn! 

I will check my post again in a few years, maybe just maybe i will get lucky and find an answer to the actual question "What is the successor of Adaptive Payments?" which would be of some help.

Orla

Login to Me Too

rupps9800

Looking for the same solution myself. Spent an unfortunate amount of development time integrating paypal adaptive payments and testing it in the sandbox environment only to find it is being cutoff with no replacement... This is being very poorly managed from what I am seeing here. Perhaps the community needs to elevate this issue higher up to top management or make this more public so others don't waste their time.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.