What is "TOKEN", and how to find it in my Paypal profile?

shihhh
Contributor
Contributor

I am running a site, selling points and collecting money through paypal. Clients can pay and I can receive money in my paypal account. However, my client didn't get the points with the system. 

By googling the old , I guess the problem may be that I need to get a series of number called "TOKEN" and write it in my site. Then the site will connect to my paypal account. But where to find the "TOKEN"?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
The TOKEN would be used with Express Checkout. Is that what you've used to do the integration in your site?

If you had a bad token the API calls would fail, so if it looks like it's working for the customer then you must have a problem with your error handling.

Please verify exactly how you have integrated your payments (ie. PayPal Standard, Express Checkout, Payments Pro) and then I can try to help you more.

Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!
Login to Me Too

shihhh
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Thanks for replying me. I am running a site selling points so after the purchase, the user should have the points added to his account in my site. I figured out I should turn on "Payment Data Transfer" and Copy the "Identity Token" from my selling tools in Paypal, then paste the token on my site. So the clients can get their points incremented on my site after made purchase. 

The article I referred to seems a bit old :  <removed>

It works but I would like to know if anything has been updated?

Login to Me Too

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor

Okay, so the token you're referring to is for PDT. Unfortunately, that is not going to be the best solution for what you're doing.

PDT depends on the user making it back to the Return URL you have specified. Even with Auto-Return enabled, there is no guarantee the user will make it back to this page. If they don't, the code would never run to update your points.

To fix this, you should use IPN instead. This is very similar to PDT, but it happens separate from the checkout flow, and will be triggered regardless of whether the person makes it back to your site or not.

Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.