Storing credit cards with Paypal using reference transactions

advlaser
Contributor
Contributor

We have customers that order from us on a regular basis, so to save time we would like to store their credit cards with paypal too keep PCI compliant and so we don't have to take down their card number on each order.

I've been planning on using paypal reference transaction. But as I read the documentation, I see a limitation. My thought was we upload the card to paypal as TRXTYPE=A for a $0 authorization and paypal returns a PNREF. From there any future transactions could use the original PNREF. We typically do a pre-auth and post-auth on each transaction. But according to the documentation "only one Delayed Capture transaction is allowed per Authorization". So that tells me my plan to use reference transactions in this way won't work.

Is there some other way to store these cards with paypal? Or can I take the PNREF off the previous CAPTURE and start a new autorization from that? Thanks!

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
A delayed capture is not the same as a reference transaction. If you do the card verification, you can use the PNREF for a future reference transaction like you're wanting.

Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.