REST vs SOAP Comparison, is it worth upgrading?

ajstrick-red
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Our ecommerce platform is integrated with PayPal using the SOAP API and we are considering upgrading to the REST API however I can't find any documentation on what the major differences are, in terms of supported features, road map, support levels.

I guess if the two are functionally equivalent, supported and maintained then we wouldn't do the upgrade, but the fact the NVP/SOAP API is flagged as legacy leads me to believe they are no longer if they ever were functionally the same and perhaps even not maintained to same level.

Any help in directing me to documentation that compares the two API's or provide any guidance on whether its worth changing the integration and if so why would be appreciated.

Regards,

Alan

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

MTS_Jennifer

Hello @ajstrick-red ,

Thank you for posting to the PayPal Community.

We are encouraging everyone to upgrade to Rest API as NVP/SOAP is no longer being updated (deprecated). What this means is no new features are being added. If you need credit card processing we are no longer allowing new Website Payment's Pro integrations (Using DoDirectPayment API NVP/SOAP) as it is not compatible with the new 3DS 2.0 requirements.

Some features that Rest API Has that NVP/SOAP Lacks:

https://developer.paypal.com/docs/online/

There are many other reasons to upgrade to Rest API, the most important reason is that we are actively updating Rest API, so it will always be up to date with the latest requirements for payment processing. We are  not updating NVP/SOAP so many of the features that are found in Rest API are not available in NVP/SOAP.

Thanks,

Jennifer

MTS

PayPal

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

MTS_Jennifer

Hello @ajstrick-red ,

Thank you for posting to the PayPal Community.

We are encouraging everyone to upgrade to Rest API as NVP/SOAP is no longer being updated (deprecated). What this means is no new features are being added. If you need credit card processing we are no longer allowing new Website Payment's Pro integrations (Using DoDirectPayment API NVP/SOAP) as it is not compatible with the new 3DS 2.0 requirements.

Some features that Rest API Has that NVP/SOAP Lacks:

https://developer.paypal.com/docs/online/

There are many other reasons to upgrade to Rest API, the most important reason is that we are actively updating Rest API, so it will always be up to date with the latest requirements for payment processing. We are  not updating NVP/SOAP so many of the features that are found in Rest API are not available in NVP/SOAP.

Thanks,

Jennifer

MTS

PayPal

Login to Me Too

ajstrick-red
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Jennifer that's great!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.