Name Change

pat4028
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I have been trying to change the name on my Paypal and Ebay account from my name to my spouses name. Talking to someone at Ebay or Paypal that has some answers is next to impossible. I think they have forgotten who pays there salarys. Has anyone gone threw this? How did it get done? Do I need to cancel my paypal account and ebay account and start over? Any help woud be helpful.

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

kathyann49
New Community Member

my last name has been spelled wrong my last name is joseph

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Lilly
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hello kathyann49!

Thanks for stopping by the forums!

In order to correct your name in our system, we just need you to complete a couple steps. 

Once you're logged into your PayPal account, please click the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page.  This should pull you to a page with a few options---if you can select the "email us" option, we can get going on your request!

From the email us page:

Under "topic" please select "My Account", then under "subtopic" please select "name change". 

The information should populate to walk you through submitting the update to PayPal. 

Hope this helps!

Lilly

Login to Me Too

DeeDeals

Is it really important to change account name from one spouse to another if the same e-mail address was used to set everything up? I am starting an OnLine business and in signing up for PayPal they said I already had an account...this was my husbands (not used by him anymore) when asked for password .I did not have it so clicked 'Forgot password' and set a new one.....everything else is in my name...

Login to Me Too

pat4028
Contributor
Contributor

I do NOT, and HAVE not used my "legal" name in years. I need some way to keep it from showing up or being accessible to anyone further that I make payments to...especially Ebay or personal transactions to people who don't know that I wasn't born (and can't, for the peace of paternal family relations) with the name they know me as.

I work in film and this is also my professional name. A lawyer informed my family that as long as I use my name (and by "my name" I don't mean the unfortunate birth certificate title) it becomes my legally accepted name. Therefore, this is the only way I'm, w/out causing family problems, able to change my name. Since they were advised that simply going by the name makes it my recognized name, that is the most I'm peacefully able to do.

PLEASE...How can I make my account name on pay-pal reflect, not the name my family gave to me and won't let me 'officially' change via court proceedings, but instead the name I ACTUALLY GO BY, am known by, and would not want anyone who knows me to ever know I was not given at birth.

I do NOT use my legal name and have not for years. I can't have it getting out. My reasons for rejecting it would never make sense to the most people but they are very legit and have plagued me since 3rd grade. I've since stopped using "That Name".

No one besides family even knows "That Name". I have enough trouble pretending to have lost my license or making excuses so friends will go into clubs way ahead of me so I can quickly produce said document in private...otherwise I pretend to have lost it and forgo the evening, leaving my friends to enjoy the night while I retreat to my apartment. This is trouble ENOUGH w/out having to avoid using pay-pal for many of the things I could be using it for because I can't seem to change that unfortunate "birth title" it insists on displaying. My credit card and everything is all legal. I've made plenty of payments so far through this account to companies that don't matter as far as "That Name" goes, so Pay-Pal can confirm I'm legit and my payments have always gone through w/out any issue at all. I just NEED my display name to reflect the name I ACTUALLY USE and am known by....PLEASE!!!!!

This is hardly a minor issue for me by any means.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.