Name Change

pat4028
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I have been trying to change the name on my Paypal and Ebay account from my name to my spouses name. Talking to someone at Ebay or Paypal that has some answers is next to impossible. I think they have forgotten who pays there salarys. Has anyone gone threw this? How did it get done? Do I need to cancel my paypal account and ebay account and start over? Any help woud be helpful.

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

skier
Advisor
Advisor

You can't change the name without some help from Customer Service.   See this FAQ as it explains what you need to do.

If you need to call Customer Service, here's the numbers:

PayPal Customer Service:
US/Canada
1 - 888 - 221 - 1161
or
1 - 402 - 935 - 2050

4:00 AM PST to 10:00 PM PST Monday through Friday
6:00 AM PST to 8:00 PM PST Saturday and Sunday

Note, If you're trapped in the the phone maze, press Zero.

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

pat4028
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply I have found out you have to go threw the compliance department but they are impossible to contact. When you email them you get computer generated emails that tells you nothing. Customer service laughs when you tell them you want to talk to someone in the compliance department. I beginning to wonder if they really care about the people that use paypal.

Login to Me Too

Amanda411

Hi pat4028,

Welcome!

It depends on the type of account you have. If you have a Personal or Premier PayPal account you can change the name on your account only for a typographical error or legal name change. You cannot change the name on your account to another person's name.

You can change the contact name on your Business account for typographical errors and legal name changes or to replace the current contact with a new contact. To submit a request for a business contact name change, follow these steps:

1. Go to the PayPal website and log in to your account.
  2. Click "Profile" at the top of the page.
  3. Click "Business Information" in the Account Information column.
  4. Click "Change name."
  5. Select "Business Name Change" (change contact name).
  6. Click "Continue" and follow the instructions.

Amanda

Login to Me Too

foundation1
New Community Member

Thanks for your help.  I just set up a new account for a nonprofit and we will be changing the business name in about a month and I thought I may have to set up a new account. It is not intuitive that when you change the business name by making an edit to the contact person's name.  And when you click the "edit" button at the bottom of the screen, you are able to make edits to just about all entries except the 'business name".  But my follow-up question is: "how can one verify that the account is being recognized as a nonprofit and the fees that are attached to the account are those for nonprofits?  Thanks again for the "name change" feedback. 

Login to Me Too

meemee
New Community Member

Hi! Im also trying to change my name due to typo. errors.however, there wasn't any Business Infromation in the Account information Column.
Here are what's listed in the account column.

Street Address
Phones and Mobile Payments
Password
Notifications
Language Preference
Time Zone
Paypal Security Key
Close Account
Identification Preference.

thank you in advance for your help. 🙂

Login to Me Too

sandypurins
Advisor
Advisor

@meemee wrote:

Hi! Im also trying to change my name due to typo. errors.however, there wasn't any Business Infromation in the Account information Column.

Hi meemee, I believe Amanda's instructions were for a Business account name change.

Here's the PayPal Help Center name change instructions which apply to the other (Personal and Premier) account types...

I misspelled my name during signup. How do I change it?

To change your name because it's misspelled or you've changed it legally, please submit a request through our secure form. Here's how:

1. Log in to your account.
  2. Click Contact Us at the bottom of any PayPal page.
  3. Click Send us a question by email under Email us.
  4. Click My Account in the Choose a Topic box, and then Name Change in the Choose a Subtopic box.
  5. Enter your question and click Continue.
  6. Enter the required information.
  7. Click Continue.

Please note that you can't change the name on your account to another person's name.

Login to Me Too

Amanda411

I do NOT, and HAVE not used my "legal" name in years. I need some way to keep it from showing up or being accessible to anyone further that I make payments to...especially Ebay or personal transactions to people who don't know that I wasn't born (and can't, for the peace of paternal family relations) with the name they know me as.

I work in film and this is also my professional name. A lawyer informed my family that as long as I use my name (and by "my name" I don't mean the unfortunate birth certificate title) it becomes my legally accepted name. Therefore, this is the only way I'm, w/out causing family problems, able to change my name. Since they were advised that simply going by the name makes it my recognized name, that is the most I'm peacefully able to do.

PLEASE...How can I make my account name on pay-pal reflect, not the name my family gave to me and won't let me 'officially' change via court proceedings, but instead the name I ACTUALLY GO BY, am known by, and would not want anyone who knows me to ever know I was not given at birth.

I do NOT use my legal name and have not for years. I can't have it getting out. My reasons for rejecting it would never make sense to the most people but they are very legit and have plagued me since 3rd grade. I've since stopped using "That Name".

No one besides family even knows "That Name". I have enough trouble pretending to have lost my license or making excuses so friends will go into clubs way ahead of me so I can quickly produce said document in private...otherwise I pretend to have lost it and forgo the evening, leaving my friends to enjoy the night while I retreat to my apartment. This is trouble ENOUGH w/out having to avoid using pay-pal for many of the things I could be using it for because I can't seem to change that unfortunate "birth title" it insists on displaying. My credit card and everything is all legal. I've made plenty of payments so far through this account to companies that don't matter as far as "That Name" goes, so Pay-Pal can confirm I'm legit and my payments have always gone through w/out any issue at all. I just NEED my display name to reflect the name I ACTUALLY USE and am known by....PLEASE!!!!!

This is hardly a minor issue for me by any means.

Login to Me Too

bettybonnet
New Community Member

Can you explain how to do this? I have gotten married since opening my paypal account and would like to use my married (legal) last name.

Thank you!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_WarrenG
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

bettybonnet,

Congrats on getting married! 

A legal name change on your PayPal account can be done by faxing in a copy of your updated Photo ID and the marriage certificate to us here at PayPal.  We can then assist you in updating the name on the account.

Please contact the Customer Service representatives by using the "Contact Us" link.  We will be more than happy to provide you the necessary fax # and provide you full explanation of process.

Again Congratulations! 

PayPal_WarrenG

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.