Monthly Account statement email

Sargonarhes
Contributor
Contributor

Just checking, is Paypal now sending out a email telling you your monthly account statement is ready, or is this a phishing email I just recieved?

Because something about this email smells funny.

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

ncdave4life
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same question, and the same suspicions.

The email I got says:

YOUR MAY ACCOUNT STATEMENT FROM PayPal IS READY
https://email0.paypal.com/servlet/cc6?iitgHQYRCAQ
...very-very-long-gibberish...YVXLX

All the URLs in the email start out "https://email0.paypal.com/..." yet it still seems strange.  The URL's are incredibly long, for no obvious reason.  What's more, the headers show that the email did NOT come from a paypal or eBay mailserver:

Received: from om-paypal-na.rsys4.com (om-paypal-na.rsys4.com [12.130.139.53])

by mx.google.com

rsys4.com?  What's that?  It doesn't seem to be a real domain.

Looking up the IP...

AT&T Services, Inc. ATT (NET-12-0-0-0-1) 12.0.0.0 - 12.255.255.255

Responsys ATTENS-010369-005188 (NET-12-130-139-0-1) 12.130.139.0 - 12.130.139.255

CERFnet ATTENS-SJC1-2 (NET-12-130-128-0-1) 12.130.128.0 - 12.130.191.255

That's not Paypal!

What's going on??

Login to Me Too

xenu
New Community Member
I received the exact same e-mail with the same headers. I didn't click on any of the links and just went to Paypal's website directly in my web browser. I did forward a copy with the headers to spoof@paypal.com so they could check it out.
Login to Me Too

Sargonarhes
Contributor
Contributor

I figured I wasn't the only one to get the message, and you're right the whole message doesn't seem right. Thanks.

Login to Me Too

Ms67GTO
Contributor
Contributor

DO NOT OPEN THIS EMAIL.  I received the same monthly account statement on 06.16.11.  I always preview the settings before I open anything from PayPal.  I saw no problems and everything was legit.  However, when I actually opened the email, it had me log in.  It accepted my email address, but kept saying my "password" was not recognized.  Tried several times, went to the ask/problems area, but literally locked my computer up and would not let me type.  I have been trying ALL DAY TODAY 06.17.11 to reach PayPal.  My computer is just haywire, my security/virus system never stops running.  I cannot clear it.  I cannot access any viable means to reach PayPal.  Even the "live chat" is set to just repeat the same statements.  Was given a phone number to contact - I called and kept repeating my sign-in finally saying that this service is discontinued.  THIS IS A VIRUS!  My computer is going nuts!Smiley Mad

Login to Me Too

ncdave4life
Contributor
Contributor

How'd this thing get marked "solved?"  It's certainly NOT solved!

Note that all those web addresses in the email started out "https://email0.paypal.com/servlet/..." -- i.e., they're using a real paypal.com address.  That seems to mean that Paypal's "servlet" implements a mechanism for redirecting through a paypal address to an arbitrary (bogus!) external web site!  If so, that is a HUGE security flaw!!!  

Paypal/eBay, please address this problem!!!

Login to Me Too

Sargonarhes
Contributor
Contributor

I marked it solved as reporting it to Paypal seems to be the best option for right now. Treat it just like the Playstation Network hacking and change your password, and keep a close watch of your bank statements.

Login to Me Too

mas064
Contributor
Contributor

From what I've seen lately, reporting this to Paypal accomplishes little or nothing!    SOMEBODY PLEASE GET THE "SOLVED" TAG OFF THIS BEFORE WE'RE ALL LEFT HOLDING AN EMPTY BAG!!!!!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.