Language preference changed to Chinese, then back to English without me doing it!

forrestoff
Contributor
Contributor

So I received two emails today, the first in mostly chinese, and the second indicating that my language preference for paypal has be changed back to English. The chinese email, I was able to translate and it indicated that my language preference was changed to simplified chinese. I have not logged in to my paypal account for a while, and didn't affect this change on my account.

Anyone have something similar happen?  The little email header information that I gleaned from gmail indicated little about the origin of the emails. There are no links within the emails, and it states that I can log back in to my account adn change the language preference back at any time.  If this were a spoofing message, I'd expect a hyperlink to a random address, but there were none.

regards,

f

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

I've had phishing emails mailed to me with no link ion them - it's so hard to find good help these days, even for scammers.Smiley Very Happy

The only way to make sure is to forward the emails to spoof@paypal.com and let them check it out.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_WarrenG
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

forrestoff,

I can understand how those emails would be confusing.  I beleive that those emails were indications of PayPal security working as designed.  Many times, our security teams will secure accounts we believe may have been accessed by a third party.  In some of those situations we may stop actions from happening or correct things we witnessed.  

If you have any further concerns regarding the secrity of your account, please contact us by using the contact us link at the bottom of any PayPal.com page.

Login to Me Too

dreincali
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I am having the same problem.

I haven't logged into my PayPal account for some time, but when I was trying to

complete a transaction with half.com, my whole language preference was apparently

changed to simplified Chinese without me opting for that change.

Problem is, it hasn't been changed back to English nor do I know how to fix it otherwise.

ARGH!!!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_WarrenG
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

dreincali,

If you are having trouble changing your language back, you can do it one of two ways.

From the account home page you can use the language drop down found underneath the "Search" button in the top right of the PayPal page.  If this is not an option you can gain access to the language preferences through the following process.

(This process may be difficult if the language is still changed.)

1. Go to the PayPal website and log in to your account.
  2. Click "Profile" at the top of the page.
  3. Click "Language Preference" in the Account Information column.
  4. Select your preferred language and click "Save."

Hope this helps get your account back to the proper language!

Login to Me Too

madbetty
New Community Member

I'm having the exact same problem .....except i cant change it on the log in screen and i tried to follow your steps but there is no language option to change..... what else can i do? would really appreciate the help its driving me insane at this stage i can do nothing unless i use google chrome which is just a pain....

Login to Me Too

moon_43230
New Community Member

Yes, my account has done the same thing although it hasn't switched back yet. I seldom use my account and haven't had any unusal charges. I just wish I knew how to translate enough to get it back to normal or cancel the account.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Andy

Hey All, here's a bit of information that might explain things.

Sometimes you'll visit a webpage that the encoding is in another language (Chinese, Spanish, French, etc.).  Depending on your internet preferences, that webpage will leave a cookie with the language.  When you visit PayPal (and other sites sometimes) the system will read that cookie and change the language on your account without anyone actually logging in and changing things. 

Best solution would be to clear cache and cookies ( if you don't know how to do that, you can search the web for info on your specific browser), close all of your browser windows, and reboot your computer.  Most of the time this will delete everything the system is looking at; then you can go in and change the language back.

Easiest way (to start) is in the top right corner of the PayPal screen is the "Search" button. 

Right below that is the language preference.  Click on and find English. Then once you log in, you can follow WarrenG's earlier instructions to permanently change it (if needed).

Hope this helps!

Andy

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.