why cant i link my bank account DEBIT card?

jjay
Contributor
Contributor

ok so i want instant purchases with my paypal account. it says i can link my debit card, yet provides no place to do so. there is visa, mastercard and american express, but no debit option. i want to make it so money is withdrawn from my bank automatically. how can i do this?

Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15

Stunnerl
New Community Member

I'm having the same problem as well, and when I want to verify it, they never send the few cents to my bank account so I can put the money on the "confirm" page.

Login to Me Too

jjay
Contributor
Contributor

my was linked and all i got the few cents and its verified, but i still have to wait 6-8 business days. yet it clearly says on the website to "link a debit card to make instant payments"

like wtf?

Login to Me Too

lwgray2009
New Community Member

i went to all this trouble to link my bank account to paypal only to find out 3 days later that it was all for nothing! all i wanted was to get netflix.is that too much to ask? if i had a credit card,i would have just used that in the first place.thanks for nothing.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Everyone, welcome to the boards!

jjay - 

Canada is a unique country in that debit cards in Canada aren't necessarily a Visa, MasterCard, or American Express.  You can enter a debit or credit card, but they have to be branded with one of the above.  I know there's not a lot of debit cards in Canada that have that type of branding on them, so if you don't have or can't get one like that, you may want to consider registering a traditional credit card instead.  That will make your bank transfers instant at that point.

Stunnerl -

Did you ever get your random deposits?  It can take three or four business days, which means no weekends or holidays.  Let us know!

lwgray2009 -

I'm sorry your merchant has these sorts of requirements.  Just as the shops down the road don't take every type of credit card, or cheque, or even cash, some merchants who use PayPal don't accept every payment type.  We'd love for them to take every kind of payment, though - merchants who take more types of payments inevitably have more buyers.  Then everyone wins, right?

You might try adding funds from your bank account, or (and we don't normally recommend this) a pre-paid card instead to set up Netflix. 

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

chitska
Contributor
Contributor

Did you link your bank account DEBIT card?? If YES, I would LOVE to know how you did it!! I am having the same problem........

Login to Me Too

Luanne
Contributor
Contributor

You don't use your debit card in Canada gang.... simply link your bank account and then you pay from that.  I have done that for Netflix as well as many other services.  So forget "debit card" and link either your credit card or your bank account instead!

On the subject of debit cards.  The debit card in the U.S. is an entirely different animal than what we have in Canada.  It has to do wtih their very different banking system and charges to merchants based on whether a transaction is processed as credit or debit.  From what I know of it, it's a headache!  Believe me, you don't want to deal with American debit cards! Just use your bank account or your credit card and you'll be fine. 🙂

And Adrian, I don't think there are any debit cards in Canada at all that are Visa or MC branded.  We run with an entirely different system here and we use either a debit OR a credit card period. 🙂  Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I can't see Canadian companies going that route.

Luanne

Login to Me Too

chitska
Contributor
Contributor

Thanx Luanne!!

That was a nice and clear explanation.

Login to Me Too

Luanne
Contributor
Contributor

Youi're quite welcome.  🙂  Check out my posts on other Canadian-themed threads re currency conversion issues, etc. 🙂

Login to Me Too

liddleting
New Community Member

I don't have a credit card but Netflix wants a credit or debit card before it will approve for tree trial.  I am unable to link my debit card at paypal, so what next? 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.