why are funds taken out of my bank account instead of my credit card

jjustl00king1
Contributor
Contributor

been using paypal now for many years. always used credit card to pay for my purchases. now I have added a bank account, and my purchases are being taken from my bank account instead of my credit card. I prefer credit card payments and only added bank account to make money transfers. How do I fix this problem.

Login to Me Too
21 REPLIES 21

ncooney

I did this but the money is still coming out of my bank account and has caused me a lot of stress since the money wasnt' there and I'll be charged.  There should be a way to change the order of payment.

Login to Me Too

PeterL
New Community Member

It's not working. There isn't a "more option" button at the checkout to change method of payment, it continues to request money from my bank account. It's an ebay purchase

Login to Me Too

JFC

@PayPal_Adrian wrote:

Welcome to the boards!

Once you have a bank account and a credit card on file, the default method of payment becomes an Instant Transfer from the bank account.  Since you'll want to keep the bank on file to remain Verified, just click on "More Options" when completing a check out and select to charge the card only. 

Hope this helps,

Adrian

This is amazingly counter intuitive. Who at Paypal thought this was a good idea?!

The only reason I have Paypal is to make secure payments with the added security of a credit card. The last thing I want is to have money taken directly from my bank account.

Please provide an option to change the primary default method.

Thanks

Login to Me Too

rudecustomerser
Contributor
Contributor

Okay I have to tell you.  I own a law firm in Canada and am absolutely stunned by Paypal's poor communication and rude customer service, especially on this issue.  

It's obvious why Paypal is trying to get people to pay with bank accounts, more fees are on the table for Paypal.  I for one am not interested in having Paypal use my bank account for payment to anyone.  Since I have spent over $10,000 on my credit card, and that's worked fine for five years, I don't see why things should change now, just so that Paypal can make more money.  There is no "legal requirement" that Paypal have my bank account information.  

The most annoying thing of all is that if Paypal say, offered a discount or said "it'll cost you a bit more to use your credit card", that would have been honest and I would understand.  But the disingenuous approach of "you've reached your limit" when every payment is cleared by my credit card instantly, and "it's a legal requirement" when it's clearly not, is insulting to say the least and unethical to boot.  It's almost fraud in my books.  

Paypal has really been **bleep**ing up in its approach to its customers of late and this has to change, or I'm switching to ProPay!

Login to Me Too

Euro_lab

I am afraid to purchase anything major thru Paypal as they do not always give me the option to use my credit card if I have a larger balance in my bank account.  The money in my account is for other bills etc. and I want to be able to use my credit card if I feel the need.  Does anyone know how to make your credit card your primary method of payment, while still having the option to use your bank account if you choose.  

Login to Me Too

ncooney

This just happened to me also.  The money has come out of my bank account leaving a negative balance and of course I'll be hit with a 42.00 nsf fee now on a 10.00 item that should have never happened.  I had quickly added the credit card to my paypal account to avoid this but it happened anyway.  I called them and that's pointless.  I believe this is illegal for them to go to my bank account and arbitarily take out money.  If my PayPal balance is too low, then take then put the payment on my credit card....simple.  Leave my bank out of it.  What a stupid outfit this is.

Login to Me Too

snuzz
Contributor
Contributor

I just went into my profile in my paypal account and then clicked on credit card and there is on the right hand side were it says "link" which I clicked and then it said that I had to click continue so that they would send money into my credit card,which I then I to verify with 4 numbers to then when i looked up my statment on line in a couple of days.This is to make sure it is my credit card and not someone esles.This is why I cannot use anything but my bank account.I did not link my card up.

Well sorry but nothing was ever said to do anything like this and I would not have know about this if someone else had not told me about checking it out.

What a stupid outfit Paypal is,unfortunatey they have the monopoly and so many sellers on ebay only accept paypal so no way out but using them,or should I say,letting paypal use us!!!!

So very frustrating though.

Login to Me Too

Arcilios
Contributor
Contributor

This just happened to me too. It's retarded, why are you charging me fees when my bank account clearly doesn't have any money in it? I just linked it so I could transfer funds, and now my balance is at -40.00 becuase your payment rebounded onto my credit card. So not only am I charged on my card, I'm charged on my account too? You should refund the charge laid down on my bank account at the very least. And also you need to make credit cards a permanent option so we shouldn't have to go to "select more options" crap. It should just be automatically there for us whether we want to use our bank accounts or our cards. In fact I'm pretty sure the majority of users have the intention of paying with their cards, so this should be the first and foremost option. Bank accounts should be under the "More Options" section for payment. And also these little charges your slapping us in the face with need to stop. Either make an option in your profile that permanenlty keeps your preference locked, (whether you want to pay with credit or debit) and leave it at that. Don't make us have to manually change the option everytime, this can be overlooked at times and also lead to frustration and dissatisfaction as demonstrated by my predecesors in this thread.

Login to Me Too

imabwithanitch
New Community Member

I've got the same problem. I've used PayPal for over 5 years & this has just started happening now? I've got a negative balance now on my bank account, thanks to the bank's nsf fee of $42. But it's a PayPal issue, not a bank issue. I do choose credit card first option. I made 2 purchases within a few days, & one took the money from my PayPal account & credit card. The second took the money from my bank, though there was nowhere near enough to cover it. That was on April 18, & the money still hasn't been charged to my credit card, but I have the product in my possession already. Why would PayPal choose to vary my payment type without my consent? I doubt it's legal or binding.Good thing I'm honest, or I'd have deleted my credit card & have a free computer, aside from the nsf fee. Unless I get a satisfactory resolution, I will no longer use PayPal. Perhaps they've forgotten that we, the consumers, are the reason they are in business. I'm sure there are other payment methods that are satisfactory to sellers everywhere...like a credit card..which I have..so what's the point of putting up with this

Login to Me Too

GrandpaLarry777
Contributor
Contributor

Greetings,

I have yet to find a way to easily change the default payment to a credit card but if you are concerned about your bank account being directly linked to your PayPal account, you can do what I did...Remove your bank account.

Here are the steps I took.

1. When you are in your PayPal account, click Profile toward the top of the page

2. Be sure your have a "Confirmed" credit card registered at PayPal

3. In the box on the click the My Money link

4. Click Update in the Bank Account area

5. Click the Remove button at the bottom of the Bank Account page

Once you get through any warning messages and the page that prompts you to register a Bank Account the default payment method will switch your "default" credit card account.

You should receive confirmation email about the change.

Hope this helps...BTW, it isn't that I distrust PayPal, it's just putting another layer of security between me and anyone who might hack them.

GrandpaLarry777

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.