why are funds taken out of my bank account instead of my credit card

jjustl00king1
Contributor
Contributor

been using paypal now for many years. always used credit card to pay for my purchases. now I have added a bank account, and my purchases are being taken from my bank account instead of my credit card. I prefer credit card payments and only added bank account to make money transfers. How do I fix this problem.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Welcome to the boards!

Once you have a bank account and a credit card on file, the default method of payment becomes an Instant Transfer from the bank account.  Since you'll want to keep the bank on file to remain Verified, just click on "More Options" when completing a check out and select to charge the card only. 

Hope this helps,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
21 REPLIES 21
Solved

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Welcome to the boards!

Once you have a bank account and a credit card on file, the default method of payment becomes an Instant Transfer from the bank account.  Since you'll want to keep the bank on file to remain Verified, just click on "More Options" when completing a check out and select to charge the card only. 

Hope this helps,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

antics
Contributor
Contributor

I am having hte same problem. I click on the little box to use my credit card as I KNOW my bank account has no money it. So now instead of my bank account having a few dollars, it is negative 65 something. And I have to pay for more items but cannot as it is too costly with the banks 25 dollar fee EACH AND EVERY TIME paypal **bleep**s up. I cannot afford this price tacked on a 5 dollar item. All I want to do is pay for my stuff with my credit card. Now I have to try to convince people to accept a personal cheque from me. less fees for the seller anyhow. So no more shopping for me unless they take personal cheques.

Login to Me Too

jenniferpitre
Contributor
Contributor

Why is it that pay pal took the money out of my bank account and said it would be cleared on march 18,my pay pal accounted is still processing and we are march 21??

Login to Me Too

antics
Contributor
Contributor

I am not a very happy paypal customer. I KNOW I have no money in my bank account linked to paypal. that is why i CHOSE the option to use my credit card. Not once, not twice but 3 times now, because the payment was re tried and of course failed to go through on my bank account the 2nd time!!!!! No kidding. I know owe my bank 75 dollars in fees. What the **bleep** is happening to paypal??? I used to rely on it. My credit card is valid. I PICKED THAT OPTION to pay. NOT my bank account at all. so my 49 cent beads and my 9.99 beads now have not only shipping but 50 dollars worth of bank fees on them. so far. not sure why it attempted a 2nd time. I am so very very very very angray and **bleep** off at paypal. I am no longer going to pay for anything using it. if I cannot use a cheque, I wont buy it. a hundred dollars for beads I could have bought for 20 at home. that really really **bleep**.

Login to Me Too

augie
New Community Member

No kidding!  I just spent most of the afternoon talking to someone at Paypal in the Philipines!!  Big surprise.  They wanted to verify my account and I was explaining that I do not want anyone having access and they could not understand it!  I want to use my card.  They won't let me even thought I have never carried a balance and have over 50,000 available.  Not good enough for paypal.  Guess what...I am DONE with paypal.

Login to Me Too

daraddishman
New Community Member

Uh, but PayPal charges me fees to move money in and out of my bank account. So does the bank.

Why can't I default to my credit card? It is a pretty crap thing to do to your users. I should be able to set my permanent preference for payment method. This 'feature' just cost me $8 in service fees from PayPal and my bank.

Login to Me Too

philiposekal
New Community Member

Paypal took money out of my bank account instead of my credit card and took them 8 days to confirm payment . This has caused my a lot of trouble as I was on a strict time line. Why is this happening  ?  Why they need 6 to 8 days to confirm payment after taking money out of the account even when backed by a credit card?

Login to Me Too

torton
New Community Member

This PayPal "feature" caused me a lot of pain.

Paypal can claim it is the user's fault for not selecting the right drop-down item but it is clearly a BAD DESIGN!

Let users configure the default payment method instead of setting us up for failure.

Of course people will forget to change the drop-down item once in a while, so of course they're going to be upset.

My solution was two-fold.  First, I deleted the old bank account so this wouldn't happen again (both at the bank and on paypal).  Second, I threatened to move all of my active bank accounts and credit cards to another bank if the bank didn't remove the NSF fee.  They didn't actually do anything to deserve the $25 anyway, but my frustration with bank fees is another story.  🙂

Login to Me Too

nyk0n
New Community Member

I have a bone to pick with both my bank and Paypal too.

Last month I was in the middle of switching banks and used the edit option on my account profile where my banking info was stored.  I updated it with the new info. while waiting for the two small deposits in my new account to confirm it. an auto payment from Netflix came out but it came out of my old bank and with no money was hit with a $40 NSF fee.  

So i filed a case file with Paypal to ask for the reason this happened, I thought a smart system would use the back up (credit card) while a confirmed bank account was being updated. I was asking for the $40 NSF fee to be refunded thanks to their error.  

While waiting for a solution to that another transaction came through and I was expected since I "edited" my bank info it would pull from my new bank account. To my surprise they pulled it out of my old account again even though my other and new bank account was confirmed!! Guess what another $40 NSF fee! wrote another case file telling them it happened again.

Well a week later still no response and I login now and both case files are deleted and no response ever given I will be phoning them tomorrow to get my $80 plus interest back now !

I have since found out Paypal "added" my new bank and made it secondary. I have logged in made it primary and deleted old info. grrrr this **bleep** me off my bank wont close the account being $-80.35 now and it wrecks my credit score for their errors!!

Also whats with this issue with bank charging NSF fees on paypal should this not be treated like any debit transaction and just plain out be declined when the funds aren't there?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.