Why was there a 1 dollar charge to my credit card?

ThomasLindenau
Contributor
Contributor

I linked my credit card in hopes I could add funds, but found out I could not. But thats okay becasue the 2.45$ went into my paypal. However, There are also two, one doller "Purchases" showing on my accout. What the heck. 

It just seems wrong. And I cant even find out why I was charged.

12/20/2011 Purchase - PAYPAL 4029357733 CA135401500231($1.00)
12/20/2011 Purchase - PP*9591CODE 4029357733 CA135401332671($2.45)
12/20/2011 Purchase - PAYPAL 4029357733 CA135401570592($1.00)
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Welcome to the boards!

Any time credit or debit card information is entered, altered, edited, or changed in PayPal, that information has to be verified with the card issuer in order for the change to take place. The credit card industry has a pre-approved method for merchants to verify this information - the $1.00 temporary charge (often known as a pre-authorization).

These charges are not permanent, and will never become permanent, though they are absolutely necessary to confirm card information. This is done to ensure the safety and security of every member who uses our services.

The $1.00 charge is released back to your card balance after a period of time determined by the card issuer themselves, not by PayPal.

For example, PayPal has their own brand of debit card. When we receive a $1.00 pre-authorization from a merchant on our own card, we automatically release them on day five after the charge was placed. Your card issuer may have different policies regarding when they release, however, so you'll want to check with them as to how long they will remain.

Thanks!

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

ThomasLindenau
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much for the response. But I wonder:

Is the same process true for a prepaid credit card?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

You're welcome!  And it sure is, works the same way.  The prepaid card issuer determines how long they hold onto those dollar charges.

Thanks!

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.