withdrew money from PayPal to the incorrect current account (not mine)

Demi96
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

On several occasions i withdrew some money  into what I though was my bank account, it turns out the last four digits were wrong!

So , when I checked my bank balance and found the money had not arrived I called them to check  there was nothing and then called PayPal who told me the money would be back in my paypal account after 14 working days.

After due time, still no money. So I begin a marathon phone session back and forth between the most unhelpful phillipines , the much more sensible Dublin and my bank ( Santander). 

So the philipines first wanted my bank to send them confirmation that an account that isnt theirs, also isnt mine! Of course they cant disprove a negative and data protection doesnt allow them to anyway. also the Philipines want my 'real' bank statement from that time, which is usless to them as they already know that the money hasnt gone there, after all they sent it! Furthermore my paypal account details wont reveal the whole of the incorrect account number, nor will paypal reveal it so I cant give it to my bank to check.

So, my bank gives me an acc no and sort code for an account where incorrect payments are returned to and suggest paypal do a bacs trace

Paypal Dublin says the philipines are asking for documentation that is irrelevant, ask me to close the wrong account, but that they cant help trace the money, and my bank should do a bacs trace and dont recognise the acc no and sort code my bank have given me,

So I phone my bank, they say they'll look for a missing payment, but then say there are too many accounts ending in 1330 to check them all and that paypal can simply do a recall / bacs trace on their payment

So after dialling the Dublin (direct) number and getting through to the Philipines each time who just trot out the same stuff about needing all the irrelevant (according to Dublin) docs, Im out of time - a whole day wasted going nowhere.

Paypal can trace the money if it wants to and I could get some sense if I could get through to Dublin, get the account details to which the money was sent, send that to my bank or..... paypal Dublin could bacs trace the payment to the account, recall it and stick it back in my paypal balance or is that too simple?

all they provide is a faster payment reference obviously my bank cant do anything as all this proves is the money was sent succussful whihc i dont dispute the issue the account WASNT MINE !!!

Yours exasperated

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.