withdrawals on hold for 72 hours

kev1n34
Contributor
Contributor

when transferring money it says immediately then once you press go it says the funds will take up to 72 hours!! this must be illegal? paypal have ruined mine and my children's Christmas!! i hate paypal and their lying customer service employees who are trained to lie!! your money will be in your account at 9am tomorrow! liars! the security check has been removed your money transfers will be immediate from now on!! liars!! I have written to bbc watch dog, this is the worst experience i have ever had with any company or organisation in all my 48 years of life!! someone needs to teach these lying thieving cheats a lesson!!

Login to Me Too
17 REPLIES 17

Temp20201217e
Contributor
Contributor
I came across this when I googled about the 72 hour delay this is absolutely rubbish about the security check they tell you total twollocks. I had already had over a week delay before i could access my funds and i could only did that after a annoying phone call to Ebay then im hit with another 72 hour delay and they have got the bare face check to charge me for my paypal transaction. PayPal arn't holding money for a security check it held so they can get interest on it , ok its only 50 quid so virtually nowt would be gained in intetest but times that by hundreds of thousands of transactions a day then that would addon a lot of interest. I wouldnt use this again if i sell anything on ebay again if my life depended on it. Something should be done about this to the financial ombudsmen PayPal more like taking the P*ss. PURE THIEVES. Should be ashamed of yourselfs for ruining that poor ladys kids Christmas.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Temp20201217e 

As  paypal are 'crediting' you the funds upfront when your buyer pays and paypal are waiting for the bank transfer to complete then its more of a case of you paying paypal interest.

Otherwise if i was wrong and i am not as this has been confirmed by paypal and the banks, then how would buyers come on here saying there item is on the way and the seller happily paid but the funds have not left their bank account yet?

Happened to me 2 weeeks ago, item arrived in the post and funds left by bank account the same day, seller had already been paid upfront by paypal.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Juanb23
I Hate these **bleep**, My money has been in “review” for more than 72 hours and once you try and comunicate with them they say they aren’t available this company needs to be taken down, Taking people’s money is illegal i will file a lawsuit against the company. These **bleep**ing scammers need to give me my **bleep**ing money😤
Login to Me Too

Simzter
Contributor
Contributor
Greetings all. I appreciate OP was some days ago but I find myself in similar circumstances and ended up here. My PayPal account is old and seldom used, and my eBay is the same. I sold an item and used PayPal to receive payment. No more than £300. The fund were on hold (understandably) until delivery was confirmed. This took approximately 5 days all in all. To test the water I withdrew £30 to my account. This was instant - Wow!! They’ve got their act together I thought. (funnily enough the reason I’d stopped using PayPal many years ago was because I remember random holds/delays making it unreliable). I sent my partner a gift of £100 which is showing as on hold on her account for 24hrs. Fast forward to the next day (today) - I decided to withdraw what I needed today for bits and pieces. As I processed the withdrawal PayPal warned it could take 24hrs for extra checks. As I continued this popped up again but further warned me it would be 72hrs. It just doesn’t make sense. I waited for my funds to clear and have served the time. I struggle to see why further checks need to be carried out for them to send £100 to my personal bank account - which they paid directly into just 24 hours prior. Something stinks here. I opened a ticket - their response time ‘a few hours’ ... For some that few hours not being able to access their own money could have severe consequences. PayPal should be more transparent about their holds - it is not unreasonable for someone to withdraw money one day without issues and expect to be able to do the same next time they log in. It feels like a lottery.
Login to Me Too

Lynda111
Contributor
Contributor

I've had exactly the same problem. I was then told they would cancel my withdrawal and i could refund through Xoom. This wouldn't work as Xoom didn't show my balance in Paypal and wanted to pay me from my bank account. Now I've had to start the process all over again. Another 72 hours. This is terrible for me. 

Login to Me Too

Swordfish74
Contributor
Contributor
Yeh same with me. I sold my ipad and the guy that's got will have it for week before I get a penny it's ridiculous. Yeh they use the slowest transfer so the make money on interest while it's sat there and your sat with nothing
Login to Me Too

russianwolf
Now this is really messed up, I used PayPal to pay for Airbnb and it used funds from my card, when my Airbnb order was canceled, other then just returning my money back to my card where it took the funds from it just showed up on my PayPal balance, now when I tried to put money back on the card that it took it from it added a hold for 72 hours for my funds to be back on my card!!! I called PayPal and told them that they just simply need to return the funds to the card is was taking from and they couldn’t do anything about it!! So I ended up having to sleep in my car because PayPal took money from my card and wouldn’t put the money back on the card where it took it from!! Well now it’s been 3 days and it said 72 hours so I’m thinking it will make me wait exactly to 72 hours twitch is in few hours from now. PayPal is a horrible app!! I had more money show from eBay sales, and I wasn’t going to try to transfer money to card because of the 72 hour hold, then I received an email saying that my PayPal account has been cleared and that I can use any future that is available with PayPal now, so I tried cashing out the money and again it has put the rest of my money on 72 hour hold. Now I have no money at all not on PayPal or in my bank.. Horrible stupid app.. I slept in the car because of it! Because it just took my money and wouldn’t put it back!!! Hate this thing man.. I also tried to send my money to friend before cashing it out and it wouldn’t let me. So pretty much I couldn’t do anything with my money on the app and had no choice but to cash it out with stupid 72 hour hold..
Login to Me Too

You must understand that we are just numbers to them. And they only care for profit. Nothing more.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.