unresolved negative balance issue

smiller0728
Contributor
Contributor

On 12/10/19 fraudulent charges were posted to my Paypal account, which was acknowledged by Paypal and the full amount was refunded to my bank account.  I reported the fraudulent activity to my bank and they promptly closed my account and issued new cards. However, my Paypal account now shows a negative balance and displays the message, "Add money to resolve your negative balance.", but I am not going to pay for fraud committed against me. It appears one of the transactions wasn't resolved completely.  I want to resolve this issue but attempts to have been unsuccessful.  Paypal Customer Support service is very time-consuming, fruitless, and frustrating. I have called back every day, only to be put through the maze of telephone prompts over and over. Or when I have been able to reach human beings, they have either put me on hold indefinitely or promised me the issue has been resolved, which of course, it hasn't. Is there no accountability for the customer service reps? I am terribly disappointed in Paypal's customer service. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@smiller0728 

Resolve the negative balance and pending outcome of the other transaction to be resolved, you'll be refunded on that and it'll be like add funds to your PayPal balance, to which you can withdraw it back. If you do not resolve it, anytime you receive money or make a purchase, PayPal deducts/charges you the amount until paid in full. If PayPal owes you money, then you can file a complaint to PayPal to resolve it. Up to you how you want to handle it. 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

smiller0728
Contributor
Contributor

Maybe you didn't understand the situation: All the fraud charges were resolved and refunded. I think in the process a mistake was made and it's obvious because the transactions that are on my account summary page don't accurately reflect what transpired over the course of this ordeal. I can see the discrepancy when I compare the Paypal transaction to my bank account statement.  If someone would take the time to review the transactions carefully, it is plain to see one of the transactions was processed incorrectly. There is no transaction pending to link to this negative balance amount. Where's the quality control on these processes? LOL!  

IMHO, paying for a fraudulent charge to resolve the negative balance and then hoping for reimbursement isn't the wisest approach to solving this type of problem. Granted, in my case it's only $275, but suppose it was $2750, or $27500? Paypal users shouldn't be asked to pay when someone other than they make a mistake, or commits fraud.

The customer support reps don't seem able or interested enough to follow through and resolve the issue. To make matters worse, they brush you off, probably hoping someone else will take care of the problem.

Login to Me Too

Celeste777
New Community Member
I am dealing with this now and it’s frustrating! Did you get your’s resolved?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.