"Sorry, that bank is already linked to the maximum number of PayPal accounts."

Temp20201215AL
Contributor
Contributor

I am trying to link my bank account, but I keep getting this error message: "Sorry, that bank is already linked to the maximum number of PayPal accounts." I have tried all Help options and I still can't figure out what the problem is. Please help! Thank you. 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Hasu0
New Community Member

Just in case anyone has the same problem as me... 

I just tell you what I did, and yeah, it does help. 

This is basically just a way on: 

A. "How to remove a linked bank account"

B. "How to close your PayPal account"

in my case, I'm trying to link my bank account to my new PayPal account, since I've renewed my bank account username(or whatever you call it), and PayPal need the same username as the bank account's username so you can do transfers. As far as I know. So yeah. Since changing PayPal's account name seems troublesome, so I had to make a new account instead.

A. Based on that, I just need to delete the bank account that has linked to my previous account right? 

by the way, you can do that by :

1. click the "gear" button in the upper right corner, right beside the "log out", & "bell" button

2. tap "account setting" (or the second option)

3. click the "money, banks and cards" option in the "BUSINESS PROFILE" section. (it should be the third option in that section)

4. if you see your "bank account" on the right, and you see "edit" at the end of the bank's name, click it. (it's "blue" in color)

5. Lastly, you may find the blue "remove bank" button. That's it.

B. I did that, and yet, I still receive the same "Sorry, that bank is already linked to the maximum number of PayPal accounts." notification. 

So I had to remove/delete/Close my PayPal account. 

Here's how I did it:

1. click the "gear" button in the upper right corner, right beside the "log out", & "bell" button

2. tap "account setting" (or the second option)

3. find the "account preferences" on the left and click it. (or it should be at the 'second option' in the "ACCOUNT & SECURITY" section)

4. see "Account type" on the right, and you will find a blue "close account" button at the end of it. And, yes that's it.

5. Afterward, you just have to follow the instruction. 

Unfortunately, I still receive the same "Sorry, that bank is already linked to the maximum number of PayPal accounts." notification thereafter.

So I'm guessing the process takes time, and I choose to wait a bit. After that, I try to link it once more and yep. I can successfully link my bank account into my new PayPal account. 

*note: I did this at the end of 2019 by the way

Thank you for reading and I'm terribly sorry if I get any of it wrong.  

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
31 REPLIES 31

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Temp20201215AL

Well it would help if you actually said if it is or has been linked to other Paypal accounts in the past or at the moment?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Fred987
Contributor
Contributor

What would be really useful information here is to explain how to remove those "too many links" that apparently already exist.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Fred987

I'm sure the original poster must know if he has had paypal accounts in the past and if he added his bank account to those paypal accounts?

If the bank account has been added to more than 3 paypal accounts then thats the max, so be 'helpful' in removing the link does not apply.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Fred987
Contributor
Contributor

From the comments it would appear that noone in this forum knows how to unlink accounts. Is there and I'm missing it?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Fred987

Just remove your bank account is the way to 'unlink' it.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

CraigNelsen
Contributor
Contributor

OK, how do you delete an account? When I click on the sprocket icon in the top right corner, I go to the My Profile page. When I click on the My Money tab, I see no bank accounts listed except under the Quick Links heading, where I read "Update Bank Account". So I click on that, which takes me to that page with the different bank logos, click on my bank, and then I'm asked to enter account/routing numbers. Nothing along the way that I could see where one could delete an account.

Now, it may be I have already deleted any and all of my accounts, and that's why there is nothing listed. But then that raises the question of why have I been getting this error:  "Sorry, that bank is already linked to the maximum number of PayPal accounts."?

Do I have other Paypal accounts? I don't think so. How would I find out?

Login to Me Too

AntonyFernanda
Contributor
Contributor
I am also having that problem please give me a solution
Login to Me Too

Disagree.  I just got this message and I have no idea what it's talking about.  I only have one PayPal account, so I'm completely at a loss as to what they're talking about.

Login to Me Too

SulemanITpro
Contributor
Contributor
Same here no idea what other paypal accounts unless someone hacked my account
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.