"A payment has been reversed"

I've been on hold with PayPal's phone line for nearly an hour and a half, so I figured I should test other channels.

I used a third party site to exchange my bitcoin for money sent via PayPal - I've done this before with no issue. However, about a week ago I was sent the money & promptly had it taken away, the sender claiming their account had been hacked. This put me about $500 in the negative, and Paypal gave me no option to respond. To get my balance out of the negative, I did the same process again, with a different person. They sent the money, I received it, and it was almost immediately taken back. I received an email saying "We've found a potential problem with the payment detailed below. For your protection, we have reversed the transaction." 

The person that sent it maintains that they weren't the ones to cancel/refund the transaction, and the dispute page gives me less information than I started with. As I near 80 minutes on hold, I'm desperate. Any suggestions? Explanations? Should I just close my account and switch to something better? I'm at a loss.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@coffeeshopping

You were already in negative balance so paypal were not going to risk a second transaction going the same way in case you don't pay them back again.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Okay but then... what the heck am I supposed to do? I can't get it out of the negative without money.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@coffeeshopping

Ways to clear a negative balance.

1. Transfer funds from your bank account via "add funds" .

2. Get a mate or family member to send you a payment to your paypal via the friends / family option (as long as they don't fund it with a card there is no fee).

3. Via a card over the phone with paypal.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

For Christ's sakes. Well, thank you nonetheless. I'm assuming I should probably give up on the phone call to them then?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@coffeeshopping

By all means call, they 'may' reconsider letting you do that sort of transaction but I am not really hopeful, good luck.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.