paypal stole $5000 from me

markmr

this is the complaint that i submitted to bbb.org

"Company has denied me access to my $5027 with no explanation or recourse. They have effectively stolen $5027 from me.

I have had a paypal account for 16 years and have conducted many transactions.  Never had any problems, no complaints against me, no issues.  On 7/9/2019 I attempted to transfer $4500 of my funds into my bank account and received the message that it could not be done at this time.  I then selected to have a check issued for the same amount and this request was also denied.  I tried subsequently on 7/10/2019 and 7/11/2019 several times to do the same.  I spent many hours between 7/9 and 7/11 on the phone with their customer service and was basically told that the system has blocked the transaction - the "transaction" referring to my $5027 - and that this was permanent and that there's no way for me to transfer that money to my bank nor to receive a check. I was basically told that there is nothing I can do to transfer this money out nor to receive a check. 

My account has been in good standing for all 16 years, my address and bank account have been verified, there have been no complaints against me.  No matter how hard I try, I can't get anyone to resolve this or even look into it, and as I say, I was told by customer service that there is NOTHING they can do and no way to have this investigated, escalated to any department, NO way to get this resolved.  So basically, paypal has stolen $5027 from me."

in addition to what is outlined here, it was suggested that i link another bank account to my paypal account and try the transfer that way.  i tried that - and paypal will not allow me to link another account either.  not only has paypal stolen $5000 from me, but now i can no longer do business on ebay because - well, why would i?  if i can't get to my money, it'd be rather foolish for me to sell more items only to see my money go into a black hole where i can never get to it again.  I URGE EVERYONE NOT TO DO BUSINESS WITH PAYPAL!!!  i have read MANY similar horror stories.  paypal will steal your money and leave you no recourse.  paypal, it would appear is a scam.  i have reported them to the state of california and my next step will be to take legal action against them, take them to court. 

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@markmr 

If you can't withdraw it then can you 'send' it to another account for someone to withdraw for you? 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

markmr

thanks, but that's not an option for me.

Login to Me Too

zpump
Contributor
Contributor

So sorry this happened to you. My situation is a bit different, but I can relate to PayPal stealing money with no explanation. They stole almost $3000 from my small business. First, they stated that our website violated PayPal's Acceptable Use Policy and that our funds would be held for 90 days. We never received a chargeback, complaint or return to the best of our knowledge. Also, it is humanly impossible to reach a representative who can explain why this is happening. After the 90 days, PayPal literally stole thousands of dollars from us claiming it was for damages, but with no explanation as to why this is happening. It has been months now and this has impacted my new and small business to the point that we might have to shut down. I've never been robbed like this in my life, and can't believe this action was committed by a multi billion dollar company. I am lost here. My next step is to send a certified letter to their headquarters, but if that does not work, I will take legal action as well. I am pretty sure PayPal has an army of lawyers to ensure that small businesses don't get their hard earned money back, so it might make sense to bring everyone together who has been robbed by Paypal for a group effort to get our money back ... for our families, employees. I've never felt so helpless in my life. 

Here is the full breakdown of PayPal stealing our small businesses's hard earned money. Hopefully they resolve this issue before legal action or a group action is needed. I really just want my money back and that's it. I won't sit here and be robbed. I'll do everything in my power to retrieve my hard earned money.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Merchant-Products-and-Services/Thousands-of-dollars-held-then-ta...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.