on hold payment

gina76b
New Community Member

Payment to company is on hold. Found out it may be a scam. How do I cancel the payment before it is charged. The company is in China but appeared to be local when i ordered.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@gina76b 

What kind of "hold"? Click on the transaction, is it a Pending temporary authorization? If so, the authorization cannot be canceled by PayPal. Note that an authorization is an agreement to pay merchant so only they can release you from it. Contact merchant to cancel the order. The temporary authorization will remain pending until it expires, even after merchant cancels order, in about 30 days time.

If merchant refuses to cancel then you must wait for the payment to complete and dispute it through PayPal OR (can't do both at same time) through your credit card company if that's how you paid. Chinese sites are difficult to handle when it comes to cancelations, returns/exchanges and disputes so be prepared for some hassle.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

gina76b
New Community Member
Yes it is on temporary hold. Has been for 2 days. So no money has left my paypal account. I contacted company which appears to be China based which was not at all disclosed on the website.
Login to Me Too

gina76b
New Community Member
I emailed the given contact and it says they will pass it on to the merchant. Another red flag. Don't want to end up with no shoes for the holiday or fake shoes.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.