money transferred to acct i no longer have access to

reginawash
Contributor
Contributor

so i have a bancorp.com checking acct in my "wallet" that i do not have access to. i'm assuming it's the acct linked to an old paypal mastercard but i do not recognize the last 4 digits that show for the acct and they do not match the routing/acct number when i log into the paypal mastercard acct. the paypal mastercard expired in april 2018, i haven't needed it so didn't get a new one. 

3 days ago, on april 2, i accidentally transferred my paypal balance to this bancorp.com acct. i intended to transfer it to my current physical bank acct. i have called bancorp.com and they couldn't help me based on the last 4 digits of the acct i have showing in my "wallet" and they couldn't find an account for me based on my name and social security number. i contacted paypal and they said they can't reverse the transaction because it has been completed, but also said if the acct is closed then the money will show back up in my paypal acct in 2-5 days...but if the transaction is completed that would mean the acct is not closed. i tried asking for the full account number but they said they don't have access to that information. at some point i would have had the full acct number, correct? should i be concerned that my money has gone to someone else's acct?

anyone have any suggestions on what to do from here? 

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @reginawash,

I'm sorry to hear about the dilemma with a bank account that you don't recognize. Typically, a bank should be able to find an account for you using other personally identifiable information, and use their own validation procedures to allow you to gain information about the account. If they do not have an active account associated with your information, it may well be that the account is closed, in which case the funds would be returned to the PayPal account. If the funds are not returned to your account after 14 days, you can contact customer service and request that a trace be conducted for the withdrawal. 

I hope the funds are returned quickly!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

reginawash
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for the info! I will definitely be contacting them in 14 days. Thanks again!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.