email address "not available"

fosterboyd
Contributor
Contributor

A customer sent a payment to my personal email address rather than the email address linked to my PayPal account. The PayPal message said "You Received a Payment" but the payment wasn't credited to my PayPal account. When I tried to add my personal email to my account the error message said "That email address isn't available..." WHY NOT?? WHAT CAN I DO TO GET MY MONEY?? Thanks!

Signed,

FRUSTRATED!!

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@fosterboyd

Don't know why you can't add it unless its linked elsewhere but ask your buyer.........

What does it say next to the transaction in their Paypal account?

1. Pending / Unclaimed.
2. Pending / Unclaimed with a cancel option.
3. Completed / Sent.
4. Pending / Uncleared.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

try to open a new PAYPAL account with that email address,see what happens

when someone sends money to an email addr which is not a Paypal email address,Paypal will expect the owner of this email addr to sign up and be a member.

but you already have paypal account,we are allowed 2,one business ,one personal .

or you can ask the sender to cancel it ,if possible ,and resent .

if unclaimed,it wil go back to the sender

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@nevadasmith wrote:

when someone sends money to an email addr which is not a Paypal email address,Paypal will expect the owner of this email addr to sign up and be a member.

but you already have paypal account,we are allowed 2,one business ,one personal .

If they can't add it to their existing paypal then why would you think they can add it to a new paypal account  Smiley Frustrated

@fosterboyd

Let me know the answer to my above question so you can get advice on what to do.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

@kernowlass wrote:

@nevadasmith wrote:

If they can't add it to their existing paypal then why would you think they can add it to a new paypal account  Smiley Frustrated

@fosterboyd

Let me know the answer to my above question so you can get advice on what to do.

I am speculating since she cannot add her personal email addr to her existing Paypal account,this is because there is an email address waiting to become a new Paypal member.

see that email addr she wants to add already exist in PAypal world ,she cannot add it to her existing Paypal account. 

say my mother has an email address but she does not have a paypal account and I send her $$ to that email address,she wil get a notice from Paypal saying some one sent her money.

to claim that money,she will have to go t o paypal and open an account using that email address ,and see if the money is there .   

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@nevadasmith

If it was then you can easily add that email address to your existing paypal account and the funds would come with it.

Yes your mum would have to open a paypal account as she would not have one.

BUT if you have a paypal account already then all you have to do is add that email address to your existing paypal account as you can have up to 8 email addresses on the one paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

@kernowlass wrote:

@nevadasmith

If it was then you can easily add that email address to your existing paypal account and the funds would come with it.

Yes your mum would have to open a paypal account as she would not have one.

BUT if you have a paypal account already then all you have to do is add that email address to your existing paypal account as you can have up to 8 email addresses on the one paypal account.

I know we are allowed  8 email addresess per Paypal account,but just because there is one out there,we cant  just add it to our paypal account ,else I would be adding warren buffet,bill gates and Jeff Bezo email address to my Paypal account.

she told us she has tried it but wont work,thats why I suggest she tries to use that personal addr of hers to open a new account,would it work?

if she already have 2  paypal accounts,would PAYPAL allow her a third one?

But if she does nothing,it is  unclaimed,would it go back to the sender after 30 days?? 

Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

If they can't add it to their existing paypal then why would you think they can add it to a new paypal account 

---------

they are not adding it to a  paypal account,they are using that email address to open a new paypal account.

new as in brand new,no  such account exist before

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@nevadasmith

Doesn't matter if it was a new or existing paypal account they can add an email address to it and the funds would follow.

As long as an email address that is NOT linked to a paypal account is LINKED to a paypal account then it wouldn't matter if it was an existing or a new paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

fosterboyd1

@kernowlass wrote:

@nevadasmith wrote:

@fosterboyd

Thanks! I discovered I had opened a personal account in 2011 that I had never used, so I was able to update it and reactivate it and the money was deposited. Whew!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.