eCheck cleared/approved/processed by Sender's Bank and ACH but still "pending"

DonRG
Contributor
Contributor

This is the 3rd time this has occurred.

The sender's Bank and the ACH have verified the eCheck transaction was 100% completed yet PayPal still has not deposited the funds in the recipient's PayPal account.

The only time eChecks are really slow is when it is a very small financial institution, or International transactions. When you are dealing with the 9th largest bank in the US, it is only a 2 day (business days) process. I have had eChecks cleared from TD Bank in two days except for PayPal. I have paid bills with eChecks and it was posted within two days. I have been paid with eChecks and it was posted in two days.
Since PayPal has not transferred the money from PayPal's General Account to my PayPal account, I am going to the bank to have them trace the money and open a banking fraud investigation.
After using PayPal for a very long time to make and receive payments, it looks like I'll have to start using other methods for receiving payments. The only payments I'll be making will be via the Cash Card.

Even though I don't receive interest, I was going to start keeping funds in my PayPal account, but now I won't be. Had PayPal honored its User Agreement and deposited my funds once the bank had cleared the transaction instead of withholding them, I would have not cared I wasn't getting interest on funds left in my PayPal account.
Why does it take PayPal 3-5 days to transfer the eCheck funds from the PayPal General Account to a user's PayPal account, AFTER the Bank and ACH have cleared the transaction?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DonRG 

How Long Does it Take to Clear and Process an Electronic Check (eCheck)?

The eCheck clearing process varies slightly between providers. Generally, funds are verified within 24 to 48 hours of the transaction being initiated. Should the payer have the funds available in their checking/bank account, the transaction is cleared within 3 to 5 business days and the funds are moved from the payer’s account to the payee’s account.

https://paysimple.com/blog/the-7-most-popular-questions-and-answers-about-electronic-checks/

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

DonRG
Contributor
Contributor

That is NOT what the link you provided says at all.

"Funds are typically DEPOSITED into the merchant’s bank account three to five business days after the ACH transaction is INITIATED" (Emphasis added). In my case, the transaction was initiated on Saturday, so I should have had my funds no later than Wednesday, but PayPal withheld the funds until Friday. The reason of the 3-5 days is for the sending bank to have time to clear/approve/process the transaction (1-2 days for large financial institutions, 2-3 days for smaller ones) after which the funds are INSTANTLY transferred to the receiving entity if the sender's bank account has enough funds. Unlike a financial institution (such as a bank, credit union, etc.) that deposits funds directly into a user's account, PayPal receives all funds into the PayPal General Funds account instead of directly into the user's PayPal account. As in my case, the funds sat in the PayPal General Funds Account for 3 days before being deposited in my PayPal account. 

If it is a major company you are sending an eCheck to from an account with a major financial institution, it can actually clear the SAME DAY you initiate the eCheck, such as when I paid Verizon Wireless with an eCheck from Chase Bank today (7/19/2019), and Verizon has the funds deposited in its account already and the funds are already subtracted out of the Chase Bank account. The eCheck transaction is not "pending" on either side.

This delay would appear to be to help keep the PayPal General Funds account daily balance higher so it can collect more interest on the money its users send. This is one of the ways PayPal can profit from its users. It could enable Wells Fargo to not pay interest on the money it holds for PayPal users.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.