confusion over payments, holds, and information

boxturtletrail
New Community Member

Recently I decided to try selling on ebay and listed some things. (By the way, these are the first things I've ever sold on ebay or online at all)

This morning an auction for one of my items ended. 

So I print the label, enter the tracking info on ebay, and drop the item off at the post office, figuring that once they tracking was entered and that was done, I would be able to claim my payment and move it to my bank account. No, the payment has been withheld for 21 days or until the buyer confirms they've received it. After going through hell with customer service and digging around in my accounts and emails, I accepted it was just a stupid mistake on my part not to realize and I was going to have to suck it up and wait for money I was counting on.

Then, something else happened. Another one of my listed items sold, this was just a couple hours ago, this one was a buy it now, not auction like the first. I haven't so much as packaged this purse I sold at this point, and I am instantly able to claim that payment and move it to my bank account. 

Exactly the same circumstances. 2 ebay sales, both buyers paid promptly over paypal- these sales happened about 13 hours apart-, I pay the postage and print the shipping label, - but I just got this second payment instantly, and it's in my bank account right now, but the other one is still being withheld. There was about a 40$ difference in these things, with the first being about 60$, and the second thing that I got paid for right away, about 20$. 

Why? I haven't even been able to get this second thing to the post office yet, and I have the payment. 

I'm really frustrated with this, as the shipping for the first thing was 15$, and that came out of my bank account directly. The money withheld includes the shipping cost, and I have paid for postage and shipped that item more than 10 hours ago.

I just don't understand the inconsistency. Has anyone else experienced money being withheld? Will I actually be able to claim it after 21 days if the buyer doesn't confirm? The package is insured and has tracking.

Why is one payment being withheld, but I was able to claim the other instantly? Does it have something to do with the price difference? 

Any help is appreciated. Customer service and site help pages have no answer to my questions. I'm very concerned about that first payment, as that is 60$, and if I don't actually receive that money in the set time or at all (it just shows up as 'withheld'), I'm out a very valuable item and 15$ of my own money, feeling very discouraged and unsure about selling online.  Thanks so much for any help. 

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.