amend the reason for payment

pk4913
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I'm inquiring as to whether I can amend the reason for money sent? I made a mistake and need to fix it for tax purposes. Thank you

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@pk4913 

The recipient will have to issue a refund and you'll have to send payment all over again to correct the payment type.

Note:

1) Sending fees, if any, will not be refunded if the payment was accepted/claimed by recipient and refund is issued.

2) The PayPal fee may not be refunded (for some countries) to the recipient when issuing refund on a goods and services payment.

But this original transaction, if you sent a goods and services payment in error on what's supposed to be a friends and family payment, will still count towards the 1099-K, if that is your concern, even though it was refunded. PayPal gathers all sales receipts, gross, and its up to you to sort it out during tax time.

Once a payment is completed, the payment type can't be changed so we have to be mindful of payment type from the getgo.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@pk4913 

The recipient will have to issue a refund and you'll have to send payment all over again to correct the payment type.

Note:

1) Sending fees, if any, will not be refunded if the payment was accepted/claimed by recipient and refund is issued.

2) The PayPal fee may not be refunded (for some countries) to the recipient when issuing refund on a goods and services payment.

But this original transaction, if you sent a goods and services payment in error on what's supposed to be a friends and family payment, will still count towards the 1099-K, if that is your concern, even though it was refunded. PayPal gathers all sales receipts, gross, and its up to you to sort it out during tax time.

Once a payment is completed, the payment type can't be changed so we have to be mindful of payment type from the getgo.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

pk4913
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the quick response!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.