Withdraw from Paypal (in US $) to Debit Card (in US$) happens with exchange to national currency

VladimirMoldova
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

could you help me, please. I have never had problems with withdrawing money to my card in US $ from Paypal account in US$. But recently, all of a sudden, paypal started to exchange money from US $ to MDL (Moldavian currency) before withdrawing. Why does it happen? How can I change it?
The settings are correct:

(PrtSc.jpg
Thank you in advance!
Vladimir 

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@VladimirMoldova 

5. Withdrawing Money.

5.1 How to Withdraw Money. Depending on the country/region in which your Account is registered, you may withdraw funds from your Account in any of these methods: (a) by electronically transferring them to your U.S. bank account or to your local bank account, (b) by electronically transferring them to your card where available, (c) through a PayPal initiated Automatic Transfer to your linked financial instrument, or (d) by requesting a physical check through the mail. In certain countries, your ability to withdraw to a local bank account may require the use of PayPal Retiros. Different currency rules may apply to PayPal Retiros. Please see terms and conditions for additional information regarding the service. Depending on the country/region in which your Account is registered, the currencies in which you may withdraw your funds to your local bank account may be limited. With the exception of Users with Accounts registered in the People’s Republic of China or unless otherwise specified, when withdrawing your funds to your local bank account, funds may only be withdrawn in your local currency. If you are holding a balance in U.S. Dollar, you may be able to withdraw the funds to your linked U.S. bank account or card where available. If you are holding a balance in a foreign currency, you may only withdraw that balance (or part thereof) after it has been converted to (a) the local currency if you are withdrawing your funds to your local bank account or card where available (b) U.S. Dollar if you are withdrawing your funds to your linked U.S. bank account or card where available. Depending on the country/region in which your Account is registered, you may be able to withdraw your funds through a third party service provider. Please see terms of such third party for information regarding currency conversions.

Policies may have changed.

Was your card issued in the US? If not, then PayPal will convert to local currency on withdraw and the card will convert back to USD causing double conversion like it does with bank accounts. It's not so much the currency of the card but the "nationality" of the card or bank account. 

PayPal converts to local currency on withdrawals in general. Buying maybe a different case though, as we can indicate to PayPal by calling customer service what specific currency to use on a card with regard to purchases. Just doesn't seem that PayPal allows you to withdraw in USD currency if your financial details are not US based. They haven't been allowing it for bank withdrawals so it would stand to reason it also applies to cards.

To contact customer service for further assistance:

Log on, click HELP on top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, and then scroll down to click CALL US.

Or contacting via social media:

Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter: @AskPayPal

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

VladimirMoldova
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarkerthank you very much for your reply. But I always withdraw in US $ and everything was ok, it was changed just about a week ago. Are there some changes in policy of PayPal or what happened?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.