Why can't I name my linked cards so I know which is which?

NormG1
Contributor
Contributor

I have a number of Linked Debit Cards.

PayPal lists them as Visa **** **** **** 1234

Well Guaranteed anyone with more than a single account is going to have a list that looks like this:

Visa **** **** **** 1234

Visa **** **** **** 5555

M/C **** **** **** 2222

There is a NAME field but as a user I am not allowed to edit or assign a meaningful name. By Meaningful Name I mean this:

Copmpany Visa **** **** **** 1234

Bay Bank Visa **** **** **** 5555

United Air M/C **** **** **** 2222

Makes it so much easier to choose which card I want to use.

Why doesn't PayPal fix this?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@NormG1 wrote:

I have a number of Linked Debit Cards.

PayPal lists them as Visa **** **** **** 1234

Well Guaranteed anyone with more than a single account is going to have a list that looks like this:

Visa **** **** **** 1234

Visa **** **** **** 5555

M/C **** **** **** 2222

There is a NAME field but as a user I am not allowed to edit or assign a meaningful name. By Meaningful Name I mean this:

Copmpany Visa **** **** **** 1234

Bay Bank Visa **** **** **** 5555

United Air M/C **** **** **** 2222

Makes it so much easier to choose which card I want to use.

Why doesn't PayPal fix this?

Yeah,feature not available but I think it is for security that they don't do this in case of unauthorized access of your account so the cards can't be connected to which institution/entity. It has it's pros and cons.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

NormG1
Contributor
Contributor
I can't imagine what value or fraud prevention accrues to Pay Pal if an unauthorized user knows my Visa was issued by Citibank or Wells Fargo. Even without the name of my bank if they are in my account they can use my card. The name I give the card just isn't relevant. Plus it is the bank and card issuer that are responsible for unauthorized use. As long as Pay Pal received an authorization, Pay Pal is in the clear Now if they wanted to link the ability to name accounts to agreeing to 2FA (Two Factor Authentication) I'd agree to that. I have much more fear of a data breech where some hacker gets a lot more personal information hacking into a company than someone getting access to my Palpal account. Thanks for your answer but I don't think the possible answers you suggest are valid. PayPal is a pretty stupid and arrogant organization as they are a de facto monopoly with a platform that has been doing the same thing for years and spinning off a ton of profit. They want volunteers in the community to try to answer questions that PayPal management should be answering.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.