Why PayPal deducted amount from my bank without my authorization?

nowhere_dani
Contributor
Contributor

Previously, I had linked PayPal and my bank account. Whenever I used my PayPal card to make purchases through my bank account, it would automatically top up. For example, I linked my PayPal account to Uber. Every time I paid for an Uber ride, it would deduct the fee from my bank account and then PayPal would automatically top up leaving me with a small balance (or no balance) to be applied to my next purchase. 

I should also mention that I've never deposited funds to my PayPal account nor used it as an account to withdraw money from, etc. Ever since I opened my PayPal account, it has been used in this manner: linked to my bank account and then, from there, topped up.

Now, here is my issue: PayPal deducted $508.31 from my bank account without my authorization as a top up. I never made a $508.31 charge, so I called my bank who reversed the charge and refunded the money; however, my balance on PayPal is now -$508.31 of which I am expected to pay. 

When I called PayPal about this, they told me it's because of prior charges made during March 4th - March 17th that were never topped up. I did the math on those charges and it doesn't come out to the amount of $508.31

I do not owe this money. How would I owe this money if the balance was applied with every purchase I made thereafter?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

BrandoWalk
Contributor
Contributor
Have you gotten a solution yet? I've been trying to resolve the exact same problem, only difference with my issue is that that I actually had paid for this purchase during that time period and now they won't give me my money back. Something isn't right...
Login to Me Too

nowhere_dani
Contributor
Contributor

The only response I’ve received is the one where it is apparently my fault for PayPal’s error in their system. 

The customer service representative explained to me that because PayPal’s system failed to top up my charges for that period of time then the top up charges had accrued. Okay, that makes sense. I understand that. PayPal’s gonna want their money, obviously. 

What I don’t understand is why I’m the one who has to pay for this mistake. Because their system glitched, I now have a negative balance and will be in default with PayPal. That’s what’s so frustrating.

But yeah... this is the only response I’ve gotten.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.