Why Do I Have a Negative Balance When I Have a Bank Debit Card on File??????

vkp
Contributor
Contributor

I have been using PayPal and eBay for years. Recently I sold several items on eBay. I mailed them all at the same time - and everyone received their item...except for one woman. Instead of emailing me on eBay and asking when I mailed the item (I'd already marked it as "shipped" but she didn't see it) she opened a case. So now it has caused a negative balance at PayPal. I'm confused. I have a debit card on file, with plenty of money in it (my bank account). PayPal won't let me use my account now!  Why should a problem with a stupid eBay user prevent me from using PayPal???  It's a debit card - so debit the purchase I want to make and let the eBay situation resolve itself. I need to buy vitamins and medicines - so PayPal won't let me do this because a buyer opened a case when they should have?????  Planning to quit using eBay and now thinking of quitting PayPal, too.

Login to Me Too
17 REPLIES 17

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Bit of an over reaction.

If a buyer opens a dispute then paypal can't just debit your funding source without your authorisation.

So they put your account in negative and if the dispute is awarded to the buyer then you can just add funds to your paypal account to clear the neg or phone them up and clear the neg over the phone with a card.

Once you have cleared the neg you can buy again.

But i have to say if you have a healthy diet you should not have to buy vitamins and i would not reccommend buying medicines online as there is no knowing what you are purchasing.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

vkp
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the advice but I'm still confused. How or why do I need to "fund" my PayPal account when I have a debit card on file? I always transfer money from my PayPal balance to my bank account quickly so I usually don't have a balance available at PayPal, yet I've been able to use my account. I thought if I had a debit card on hand it was perfect - they could remove money from my account when they needed to in order to cover my purchases, especially when I was trying to make a purchase at the time when this happened. Obviously, if I was trying to buy something, I was giving my authorization for the action. What business is it of PayPal's if I want to use my debit card? How does it relate to the eBay transaction? If I had no money in my bank account, I would totally understand. But there's plenty of money there, which is separate from eBay. Thanks, also, for the advice re: vitamins and medicines. To ease your mind - the medicines are for my husband and his insurance company requires us to purchase his prescribed medicines online so we're not taking a risk - they're medicines he's used for years and I'm well aware of what I'm purchasing for him. And I purchase vitamins from a company I've used for years. True, maybe people don't need vitamins if they eat perfectly, but apparently many of us prefer to use them and feel better using them. Thanks for your answer and concern, though!  And again - that has what to do with PayPal and eBay?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Because paypal are not allowed to take direct from your funding source without authorisation.

When you pay you are giving them authorisation to debit your funding source but if your paypal account is in negative you have not yet given them authorisation to debit from your funding source to negate that negative balance.

Odd i know but it is all about what paypal are allowed to do.

Glad about the medicines, i am a health care professional in my "real life" and was worried about you getting medicines online........surely if you need them you should get them via perscription??

No that did not have anything to do with ebay and paypal...........just from a concerned ebay seller that has another job dealing in medicines.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

nini11
New Community Member

Even thou you have a bank account with Paypal they do not remove funds from your actual banking account. The bank account number that is on file is for your use. PayPal debits from your bank account when you make a purchase. If a person files a claim against you then PayPal will investigate and will not allow you to receive or make a purchase. You can only make invoices. So the PaylPal account that they pay you with go straight to the PayPal account not your bank account. The same thing happened to me.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@nini11

Why are you answering a post 4 years old?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Traceyanne68
Contributor
Contributor

Actually his post helped me. Sometimes even replying 4 years later is helpful. At least this person took time out to leave a helpful reply imo. 

Login to Me Too

Mimi2222
Contributor
Contributor
What will happen if I didn't pay the negative balance and I have debit cards and bank account linked? Will paypal take my money from my debit carda or bank account?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Mimi2222

Paypal can't dip into your bank account or card without authority. But what they would do is if you buy something they would 'add' that debt to the purchase price as you would be authorising that payment.

Other than that they would limit your paypal account usage and if you still did not pay they would send the 'debt' to a debt collection agency.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Mimi2222
Contributor
Contributor
Btw I'm from Philippines, should I worry about collection debt agency?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.